Debian Linux--and my ATI card...how to get it working?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

Daemon Poster
I just installed Debian, and was sad to see the 800x600 res, lol, so I need to get my ATI drivers on there. Unfortunately, ATI doesn't support Debian, but a few sites tell how to do so, such as this:
http://www.stanchina.net/~flavio/debian/fglrx-installer.html

But I cannot get past...anything, really. Granted, this is my first time using linux since Slackware (a year or so)...

I went to ATI's site, and downloaded the driver package. But following that web site, such as this:

apt-get install kernel-source-2.x.y
cd /usr/src
tar xjvf kernel-source-2.x.y.tar.bz2
cd kernel-source-2.x.y
cp /boot/config-2.x.y-flavour .config
make-kpkg --append-to-version "-flavour" --revision 2.x.y-z --config old configure

...but either the commands don't exist, file doesn't exist (i know it does, i can see it along with the exact name), or it denies me permission (even under the terminal as root!)...

Hence, I'm an ultra newb to linux...and basically was wondering if anyone here was willing to spend a little time to help me (maybe via IM)...

thanks and PLMK any/all!
much appreciated,
--Jason

It will work on Debian. Just download the correct driver from ati, then in a terminal type "sudo ./ati_driver_filename.run" if you are in the directory and it should go. Once the gui starts,. just select automatic and go.

Tell us how it goes.

Hi--thanks for the response. When I did that, it asked me for a password...I tried root's, then my local user, and after that it said:
"<user> is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported."

I went into the users/groups and added myself to the Sudo group, but it still says that when trying...blah...unsure what to do now...

thanks for the help

chmod +x ati_driver_filename.run
su
<enter password>
./ati_driver_filename.run

try that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom