DCOM errors filling up event viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

carnageX

Private Joker,
Staff member
Opened up my event viewr, and under System, I have tons of these:

DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <computer name> using any of the configured protocols.

Event ID: 10009

The computer it's trying to communicate with is my laptop, which is off. The event is showing up at different increments, but is about 5-10 minutes apart each time, and there's hundres upon hundres of entries just from the past few days...

Anybody have an idea on how to fix this? Would like a solution as soon as I can, as I won't have access to my desktop for about a week and a half, as I'm going to Denver with a friend tomorrow.

Hmm, I dont have that registry entry that was listed on the link you gave me. And by 'remove from network connections' do you mean go into the Network Connections from control panel? Cuz it's not there (don't see why it'd be there, because those are connections).

Hello Carnage,

Open Network Connection and check the properties and settings. Make sure that you do not have any extra protocols installed that you dont want or need.

Cheers,
Mak

Well now it's doing it with both of the computers I have on the network (my laptop, and my computer upstairs; main one is in the basement). Both computers are off. Checked the protocols on my network connection, and the only protocol that wasn't really necessary was one called "link-layer topology discovery responder," one that I think is only needed if you're having problems viewing an XP machine in Vista.

Here's what's listed under the registry key (must have missed it last time):

ncacn_ip_tcp
ncacn_spx

Followed the other guide, and it still doesn't work =\. Still getting DCOM errors within event viewer.

Hello Carnage,

At this point i dont know what to say. I have used the Microsoft Serach and Advanced Search but came up with nothing.

http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?mode=a&query=dcom+was+unable+to+communicate+with+the+computer+%3Ccomputer+name%3E+using+any+of+the+configured+protocols.&catalog=LCID%3D1033&1033comm=1&spid=global

Search The Knowledge Base

At this point i can only suggest either trying to repair isntall or leave them be if they are not causing any issues for you. Either that or try contacting Microsoft Support.

Another site suggested removing the Network Printer if you have one installed.

Cheers,
Mak

Will try those as soon as I can, Mak. Thanks for the suggestions. Can't try 'em atm, as right now I'm in Denver away from home for about a week.

Forgot I had this thread up still, until I looked in my event viewer and saw all the DCOM errors still.

Googled around, and as per your advice as well, I found out the problems were with network printers. I deleted all of the network printers that I don't use, and have been checking my event viewer for the past few minutes now. So far, I haven't had any of the DCOM errors (they happened every 10 seconds or so).

Thanks for the help Mak, really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom