Dark Messiah M&M demo

Status
Not open for further replies.
"If you like having a hard copy (which I like as well) make a backup of the game that you've bought and make a case by downloading the dvd cover and sticker."

That's not the same as having a hard copy. Just try selling that on eBay. In that case, those who pirate games would have just as good a copy as the actual buyers, which is something that should never happen.

Oh, and about the whole "going to the store" thing:

Retail prices suck, this I know. Having to waste gas - OK, minor inconvenience, but you have to waste gas for a whole lot more than buying PC games.

Order off of Amazon and you'll get games cheap, oftentimes for under $10 if they're a few years old. Even including shipping prices you'll be getting at least 20% off the retail price on a new game.

On digital distribution, from what I've read on your replies, there are some PROS:

1. Indie developers can release their game without the costs of packaging. This means more innovation and more unique games that aren't being held back because the developers can't afford to put it on store shelves.

2. I forgot that Steam would patch your games for you. This is nice that you never have to worry about knowing whether or not you're "up to date."

Now as far as CONS, and it's a big one to me, there's something more that is between you and your game that is required to play. Let me use an example.

There's a really cool product that has just come out. Eagerly wanting to buy it, you go to the store and pick it up, not noticing the little "This product requires some stupid f*king software to be installed in order to run" or something similar. You get home, open it up, and a little genie comes out of the box and says "Hey dude, whenever you want to play with this, you're gonna have to open the box. And for this service, I shall take a bit of the money you paid and profit myself."

You know that opening the box really isn't much trouble. In fact, it could protect your little toy in the long run. But you don't want the box to be there. You just want to be able to see what you bought and know that it is yours. Furthermore, if for some reason your link to the outside world was not working properly, you wouldn't be able to open it up.

"I don't want this box," you say.

The genie comes out and says "Too bad, assh*le. Now buy more from me."

I can no longer understand why people hate Steam so much. It takes five seconds to connect, has so many great integrated features, and is finally becoming a major player in publishing. Their publishing deals are very fair to the developers (unlike traditional publishers like EA), allowing them creative control and experimentation, something that is extremely lacking in today's mainstream game market. Steam is going to change the way that games are made and published and for the best I believe. It was kind of a hassle at first but once I realized all of it's positive points all was quickly forgiven.

I like Steam for the reasons stated by people above. I have never had any problems with it at all. Too bad Valve is only interested in the Windows market (can't say I blame them).

Another good thing about Steam for ppl who live in the UK is the exchange rate. On Steam HL2:E1 was something like $20, I payed £12.50 with the exchange rate. Now take something like the xbox360 that was $400 in the US with the current exchange rate we should pay about £200, but no. We have to pay the exchange rate and some more with the xbox on release selling for well over £350, how can that be right. And this happens with everything that comes out in the US first, games, consoles, cars, music, the list goes on and on. So for me it makes games cheaper and for me with a 7 year old son, that's a good thing.

how much like oblivion is it?
regardless i hate steam and dont need another app running in background so i definitly wont be buying it anyway.
guess my hopes are up for gothic 3 to take oblivions place

After playin ghe demo I ahve to say I am very much intirigued and want to play teh rest of the game. ALthough I do not care much for steam, My computer is alway online anywa and I can easily afford to have an app or two running in the background while I play.

Combat is pretty similar to oblivion: strike with mouse1 (hold for power attacks) and block/parry with mouse 2. You can also kick people (with F) into spikes, fire, or off ledges. Movement/fighting seems more fluid in this game than oblivion. Although I think ranged combat is better in OB (I didn't use much of the bow, too busy slicing up goblins with dual daggers). Although you can't compare the two games directly other then combat. Oblivion is open ended with many quests and skills. This game's skills are kind of like the skill tree in Diablo II. But since it's using source engine there is alot more satisfying physics (traps don't seem quite as dull like in OB). Has nice HDR lighting too. One of the better things about this over OB is that it isn't deadly on your system.

Yea it seems UK and Europe seems to get screwed quite often with American/Japanese game products. The PS3 in Europe is getting delayed to March 2007 as well while keeping November 2006 in US and Japan. :confused:

Combat reminded me a lot of Oblivion as well. I don't know if it's the graphics, or perhaps the goblins that are reminiscent of Oblivion or just the controls themselves. It is very stylized, visceral, hard-hitting and fun. I think the fact that I replayed the short second level with the orcs and high canyon about fifteen times is good evidence of my enjoyment.

Early criticism:

1. The over-touted use of physics in the environment still needs work. I have MANY times shot arrows in the general direction of a plank, and somehow hit it, causing a major collapse of the floor/shattered boxes everywhere effect. Being able to accidently trip these big traps is just silly. They need a smaller "hit box" I guess it's called.

2. Skills need balance! Spells: that first fire missile spell is a total joke. The fire trap, on the other hand, uses half of your mana but is a guaranteed kill. Bows are not very powerful either unless you get a dead-on shot to the face. Kicks, for some reason, are the greatest weapon, really - they provide an easy stun or send enemies to their doom a little too easily. Adrenaline doesn't have enough use. It's just an excuse for a single one-shot gory kill and doesn't come often enough.

It's awesome other than these little complaints.

Please don't use Steam.

:angry:

I just completed the demo and must say that i found the game very interesting. The combat system is kinda like oblivion. I prefer dark messiahs close combat over oblivions. As someone else said, it feels more fluid. The ranged system i think is not quite as good as oblivions, but it is still is fun to use. The game has its flaws, but i feel its worth checking out.

I don't know about anybody else but I came across some major frame rate issues in the second level in the demo and some bugs. Hopefully they will ironed out and optimized by release. I can play HL2 with everything maxed out @ 1280x1024 but with DM at those settings really struggled, especially in the second level where you cross over in the cable car thing. As it's built using the source engine I thought I would be able to get similar rates to HL2, anybody having the same issues. It's fine when I drop the settings back a bit such as AA and AF.
Beefcake, we are always getting screwed on prices and realease dates. Like you said the PS3 is put back til March 2007 and will cost £425 and I don't think they are releasing the "budget" package here in the UK.

* £109 more than the U.S. "Premium" PS3: the U.S. price is $599 which converts to £316. Take this away from £425 and you're left with a £109 premium.
* £20 more than the EU "Premium" PS3: the EU price is 599 EUR which converts to £405. Take this away from £425 and you're left with a £20 premium

I guess that's what you get for living in such a hot and beautiful country.............hang on wait a minute!!! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom