Custom network

vuivuivui

Beta member
Hello,
I am fixing printers and stuff like that...
I want to set up a network on my laptop, and the purpose would be whenever I am at client location to troubleshoot their printer I want to connect the machine to my laptop with my own network, because sometimes the copiers/printers has issues where the machine itself is fine, but the problem stays in the client internal network whether if it's a router issue for example or workstation connection problems, which is out of my scoop.

So very often I am going to 'fix' issues and it turned up that the client actually experiencing problem with their network, or their PC, or driver.. well my idea is just to test the copiers on my own environment, so I can make sure where exactly the problem stays - if its for real in the copier, or it is somewhere on their internal network end.
How can I approach this? From what I can think of - I should get some mobile internet, 3G or whatever, so I can be connected not to the client network but to my own. Then I should reconfigure the printer settings temporary and connect it to my laptop network. After I make sure the machines is fine, I am getting the printer settings back to the client configuration.
Is there any point of such an actions?

Just bring an ethernet cable and manually set the IP on your network card to match the network settings that the printer is configured with.

But if the printer gets its IP via DHCP, then it'll default to a 169.254.x.x address when you unplug it from the network to test on your laptop - if that happens, you can temporarily set an IP on the printer to something like 10.0.0.1 and just set your laptop to 10.0.0.2

S0ULphIRE, thank you for your answer.
Let's see if I got it right. I should unplug the machine from the network, connect to my PC and what settings I must apply if the printer has 192.168.1.100?
My IP would be 192.168.1.101, Subnet - 255.255.255.0, do I still need gateway and DNS? And what other settings should I enter to get it working?

Back
Top Bottom