css crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.
AND_YOU_ARE said:
I bought HL2 silver from steam.

Ewww... Now please don't quote what I say here, but I've heard a couple of nasty stories about downloading HL2 from Steam- like people's CD keys not working and what not... best of luck though

AND_YOU_ARE said:
The console in game play?

Yes.

At any rate, re-installing's your best bet for ironing out any problems, worked for me. Just hope that Steam doesn't give you any grief.

Worth asking: have you done any overclocking? After OC'ing my CPU (see below), I found from a bit of stress testing that HL2 was the only app on my computer that didn't like the extra strain on my CPU, it kept crashing even when my temps seemed stable :confused:. Fine with the graphics card though (see below) :confused: :confused:

I am not overclocking anything in my tower. I just have many components in the pc using power and such. But I have a 550w Antec.

The strange thing is that I dont have any problems with cs. I havent played HL2 in a while, so i dont know if the problems are with that as well.

I doubt its temps, I have two 80mm fans on the side as intakes, one above the gpu, one above the cpu. They as well as two exaust fans are hooked up to a fan controller. I increase the rpms a bit when doing anything that maxes out the cpu.

My temps are stable, my cpu rarely get above 41c, while the case temp 28c.

AND_YOU_ARE said:
But I have a 550w Antec.

Yeah, yeah, I get it, my PSU is crap lol.

I'm always meaning to buy a top spec PSU, but never get around to it :eek:

As overclocking's concerned though, I have heard that the A7N8X series don't overclock incredibly well anyway...

I wasnt ripping on your psu, just saying what mine was, since its not in my sig.

I now have four hard drives inmy tower. they each draw 25w when being accessed, but currently two drive are used as storage, so they shouldnt be accessed when playing a game, since the os and programs are on one single hard drive.

My two optical drives arent being used either, aswell as my tvtuner card, so yeah I have a lot of hardware, it isnt all being used when gaming. So I doubt its a lack of power.

How do I go about uninstalling steam? Just in add/remove programs? Will that get all the game files?

I'm not going to advise you to uninstall your game if you've downloaded from Steam, please wait for a second opinion first!. Since I've got the HL2 DVD-ROM it's a bit simpler for me.

in the console the only mention i see of the build is of 2834.

On a different note, should I try driver cleaner to get rid of all the ati files than try a fresh version? just to rule out that it might be bad files from a previous install of drivers?

it wouldn't hurt... make sure your mobo and sound have the latest drivers as well....(not scrolling back to see if you'd already said they did)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom