Core i5 CPU specs, prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdshiftdj

I feel funny...
Delayed until October or not, the Lynnfield (Core i5) are closing in which means more details about them are also popping up. Manufactured using the mature 45nm process, Intel's first Socket 1156 processors are said to be the 2.66, 2.8 and 2.93 GHz-clocked Core i5 models. These processors will all feature four cores and an integrated dual-channel DDR3 memory controller (providing DDR3-1066/1333 support), 8MB of L3 cache and a TDP of 95W.

According to Taiwan's motherboard industry indicated that, Intel has officially announced the new Nehalem processor prices, including the mainstream desktop processor-class processors Lynnfield and Clarksfield action product specifications and price, which Lynnfield price from $ 196 U.S. dollars minimum take-off, Clarksfield quad-core maximum TDP is only 35W, prices from $ 364 take-off is expected to market the third quarter of 2009.
It is understood that the new mainstream desktop-class processors Lynnfield, listed a total of three models of the early, LGA 1156 the use of interfaces, the beginning of a total of three clock market, including the 2.66GHz, 2.8GHz and 2.93GHz, built-in 8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz model will not support Hyper-Threading technology, the highest TDP to 95W, priced at 1000 per unit cost of $ 196, $ 284 and $ 562 U.S. dollars.

In addition, the first use of micro-architecture Nehalem action Clarksfield quad-core processors, will also be listed in the third quarter 2009, the use of BGA package, a total of three listed at the beginning of the pulse, including the 1.6GHz, 1.73 and XE versions of the 2.0GHz, built-in 6MB, 8MB, and 8MB L3 Cache, support for Hyper-Threading technology, the highest TDP to 35W, priced at 1000 per unit cost of $ 364, $ 546 and $ 1054 U.S. dollars.

HKEPC Hardware

2.66GHz for $193 is really good price, and P55 motherboard also should be cheaper than X58 motherboard

I think clock for clock, i5 should be close to i7. Because the only difference I see is no tripe channel DDR3 for i5 (which doesn't make much difference over dual channel). And it will use DMI (Direct Media Interface) instead of QPI

wow no triple channel makes all the difference. the bandwidth gaps are incredible. IMO i7 gets its performance from the triple channel. clock to clock both using duel channel difference shouldn't be much. clock to clock triple vs duel, there should be a nice gap.

Negligible difference at a cpu bottlenecked 800x600 resolution....so at normal resolutions it looks like trichannel basically does nothing. Bring on the cheapness that is i5 :D

InsideHW - Intel Core i7: Dual-Channel vs. Triple-Channel Memory Mode

Conclusion

After all these tests you need to ask yourself: What the heck is that triple channel mode useful for anyway, when it is obvious that is doesn't provide performance boost that is expected? Maybe in the future and with some new versions of memory controllers, triple channel mode will provide better performances so transition to this platform will make more sense. Until that moment triple channel mode will be just another nice sticker on LGA 1366 motherboards and memory packages. Of course memory manufacturers already have triple channel DDR3 kits that are intended to be used on Intel Core i7 platform. Since these are triple channel kits they have three DDR3 modules with total capacity of 3GB or 6GB. Since prices for DDR3 memory are still pretty high it is obvious who will profit the most from this situation where (uninformed) users will go for triple channel kits with intention to use up potentials of their new platform.

well tbh i7 has dropped in price and by the time I am ready for it there will be much cheaper mobos out there (good mobos have already dropped in price a great deal)...so I might as well go with i7...

that's what i'm thinking ^ might as well go with i7.

i was really hoping for these to have hyperthreading and be priced around $150-$200 that would have been sweet :D

i thought it was just the 2.66 model not supporting it

"2.66GHz model will not support Hyper-Threading technology"

can anyone confirm or deny this?

Yeah but if everyone knows (average users i guess) that an i5 is this awesome new thing, they are going to **** their pants when you say i have that ultra high end thing called an i7.

Come one, its for bragging rights. I could have done with a E8400.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom