Copyright photos on the net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draxy

Solid State Member
I was just curious as to how I can prevent someone from copying a picture that is on my website. I know how to turn off the right-clicking of a user, but a user can still hover their mouse over the picture and click on the disk icon to save it. I realize that pictures must be downloaded to be viewed, but most people (at least the ones who will be viewing my pictures) will not think about going through the temp internet files to find the pictures.

So, I was wondering if anyone out there can tell me how I would disable the ability to save pictures from my website. Thanks

Draxy,

Its not possible.

If you want to protect your pictures, get copyrights for those images. And if someone downloads your picture and you find out who it is[ by some means..like embedding a trojan into the image],then sue him/her .! :p

sign
codes:)

I know there is a way to embed a graphic with a watermark so that if anyone downloads it or tries to capture it, it's basically useless to them but I don't know how to do that. I'm self-taught in graphics and haven't had much time in the past year to devote to it.

Turning off the right clicking on a site doesn't protect anything on a site. If anything I find it annoying when people have links I would rather open in seperate windows or if I want to see a graphic alone. I just open the code of the page and copy and paste the url of what I wanted to look at. I find this particularly handy with people who overload their page with graphics or JS.

I've come across this photography website, and they seem to have something on their site to prevent right-clicking on pictures or saving pictures in any other manner. Any idea how to do that, or how difficult it would be? If you have a code that I could use, it would be greatful. Thanks again!

Draxy,

its just a 'javascript' dude. I use firefox and i can easily copy the images. The site says that it works only with IE. well, if you disable 'javascripts' in your browser or use someother browser, the website cannot offer protection to its images :D

Sign
Codes:)

I'm not sure how you'd protect it, I know there's a plugin called PEAR for PHP that will allow you to create and manipulate images (IE: watermark), but that wouldn't really protect them. No matter what for the no-right-click, as they said, just go to view->source.

And heck, if they knew nothing else, they could use "print screen" and go into Paint and paste it:p Not sure how you'd protect it...beyond as intercodes said, copyright...which doesn't really work too well, but yeah... Make a members-only page, and only allow people you trust? :)

Just hiding those basic things, though, if that's all you care about, can easily be done with Javascript (as the no-right-click). Then again, Firefox or any browser with the javascript disabled...that won't help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom