Considering going back to College for Programming

Slam'n Systems

Veteran Techist Member
I've been out of the computer field for quite some time now. 11 years ago when I joined this forum, I was so sure I'd have a degree by now in computers. Sure, I still build computers on the side for friends and co-workers, but my original plan to go to College for programming back when I was 18 quickly fell apart.

I think looking back, I chalk it up to just not knowing what I wanted to do, or having the patience, or really thinking about my future - who knows, but I ended up playing with every major out there ranging from Teaching to Programming to Networking to Criminal Justice to Web Design ... to finally just ditch College and join the military. When an injury forced me to not do that, I was about to go back to school when I got employed by a New York State Agency as a clerk.

Making $30k a year @ 23 years old I felt content and very honored to be a state employee and figured I'd work my way up.

Now closing in on turning 25, I've realized that this is just not how I envisioned my life. I want to be successful, and feel like a good way to do that would be giving programming another shot.

Playing with all those majors, I racked up around $25k in student loan debt and didn't even manage an associates degree, so I am a bit hesitant to open that door again, especially since programming didn't go well with me the first time, but, I don't know - I just feel more motivated now to accomplish it.

Am I asking a question? I'm not even sure, I guess any advice, opinions, comments, experience from those in the programming field - anything would be appreciated to help me make up my mind.

I'd be going to a local Community College (Either Schenectady County Community College or www.hvcc.edu) to continue/restart my Programming Education and probably start with only a class or 2 per semester to get my bearing as I will be (of course) keeping my full time job at the State.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Working full time and going to school is not easy, but it can be done. If you have sufficient motivation and you are willing to sacrifice most of your free time, then go for it. It will be worth it if you don't give up, as software developers are generally well compensated.

All that I can offer is encouragement. I know it's possible to work and go to school at the same time because that's exactly what I did. After I got out of the army in 1974, I worked full-time during the day and went to school full-time nights and ended up with an AA degree in Electronics and a BS in Management. Despite not having a degree in Programming or Computer Science I ended up working as a Programmer/Software Engineer for the past 28 years.

Starting at a community college is a good idea, that's the way I did it and have encouraged my 4 kids to follow the same path.

I wish you luck and hope you succeed at what you are trying to accomplish.

I am actually doing the same. I am 28. I go to delaware county community college for network engineering. I work ft and have 3 kids (8mths, 3, and 6). I do 1 class at a time. I am currently taking a Web Page Development class (accelerated course). They took 24 of my credits from my bachelor's degree. Take your time and good luck!

Thanks for the input gentlemen, greatly appreciate it.

I know I have to start with Visual Basics in College, but looking ahead, what coding languages seem to be most common/desired in the workforce?

With my current job at the state, my benefits are very nice and could probably easily slide into a programming position by taking the exam once I get my degree, but I also fancy the idea of actually having the ability to move south and leave NY. With no degree at the moment, I'm quite literally stuck as I'll never find another job that pays and has the benefits I currently have.

Thanks for the input gentlemen, greatly appreciate it.

I know I have to start with Visual Basics in College, but looking ahead, what coding languages seem to be most common/desired in the workforce?

With my current job at the state, my benefits are very nice and could probably easily slide into a programming position by taking the exam once I get my degree, but I also fancy the idea of actually having the ability to move south and leave NY. With no degree at the moment, I'm quite literally stuck as I'll never find another job that pays and has the benefits I currently have.

Coding language in college depends on the school. The college I went to did C++ as the primary language.

As far as languages in the real world, depends on the job... Off the top of my head at the moment:

.NET (VB, C#, in combination with ASP.NET).
Java
Cobol (for legacy banking systems)
C/C++

Lots of different choices tho too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Coding language in college depends on the school. The college I went to did C++ as the primary language.

As far as languages in the real world, depends on the job... Off the top of my head at the moment:

.NET (VB, C#, in combination with ASP.NET).
Java
Cobol (for legacy banking systems)
C/C++

Lots of different choices tho too.

My University Taught Java as the primary

My University Taught Java as the primary

Like I said, all depends on the college :p. A school an hour to the south of where I went taught VB / C / C++ as their languages. Just depends on how they want to teach their curriculum. I picked up C# on my own after we got to choose our own languages for assignments in school. But that's because I prefer the .NET environment.

So do you kinda pick a "section" and just go with that? Seems there are so many languages out there, it's like endless.

I suspect once I actually begin school, I would become more knowledgeable as to what area of programming I'd want to focus on?

This is more than likely what I'll be going into...
https://www.hvcc.edu/catalog/programs/bus/css.html
That is tailored to move onto a 4 year University.

Well once you learn one language the rest become easier to understand.

Different languages for different purposes.

As you begin to understand a language you will understand the differences and purposes of it and others.

In today's world it's all about OOP.

In my opinion, and this is strictly opinionated I feel like C# is the most current powerful language followed by java. But C# is a windows thing.

Choosing what language is all about your current purpose and what interests you more. Java and C# are so close that if you learn one, the other will come natural. Besides a few syntax differences, etc.

Pretty much every language will follow the same logic...

If this

Than do that

Else do this.

Kind of thing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom