Connecting to wireless routers together

Status
Not open for further replies.

trini_dad

Solid State Member
i have a huge problem i am trying to connect 2 wireless networks together actually 3 here is the layout.

cable modem
I
router (linksys)
I
Wireless router 1 (linksys)
&
Wireless router 2 (linksys)

the router and cable modem is installed by an Isp so i cant really configure that.I am getting to connect to both Wlan but cant get any internet access i disabled dhcp on both Wlan and changed the ip adress to the main routers scheme of 192.168.1.1.iI tried everything need help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

are you plugging into the wan ports on the wireless? if u are bypass that port and plug into port 1

I have done something similar and here is how I did it.
Your linksys should be issueing Ip's via DHCP, if not then you need to know what IP's can be used in it's subnet, ie.. 192.168.1.X or 192.168.0.X
Both wan ports on your Wireless routers need to set up to receive IP's from the linksys via DHCP. If they do not then start trouble shooting there. You may have to assign available IP's that coinside with what the linksys in on.
OK, here is the tricky part. You absolutly have to set up DIFFERENT subnets on the wireless routers. Different from the Linksys and from each other. May I suggest 10.10.0.X and 10.10.1.X or 192.168.2.X and 192.168.3.Xset up the routers for DHCP on the Lan side and you should be good. Keep in mind, you HAVE to set up differnet subnets for each router and that means the computers on one wireless will not see computers on the other wireless.
Recap, the wirless routers will get an IP in its WAN port from the Linksys Lan port via DHCP. The Lan ports on the wirless routers have to have a different IP scheme than all the others.

Good luck

Unless you are using multiple routers for security perhaps you would be better of using Access Points with the existing router, however at this point an Access Point may be more expensive than a wireless router. As stated above the routers would have to each be on a different subnet.
Also you may want to check to ensure that multiple computers can connect to the existing router setup. Reason being is that if it was preconfigured the DHCP setting could be set to only assign a certain # of IP addresses. I doubt this would of been done but if connectivity becomes a problem this could be a possibility. Can you log into the ISP router to check the configuration?

I think you have to disable DHCP on all the router! Because you will be connecting the wireless router 1 to the LAN port of the first router. Your problem is you can't configure the first router so you won't be able to disable DHCP, now that's a tough situation because I don't know how changing the wireless router IP address to match the first router scheme will do any good if DHCP is enable. It will only conflict with DHCP, that is why you need to turn it off on all router.

My topology for you is first router (DHCP turn off) ip address 192.168.1.1 then the wireless router 1 connect its LAN port to the first router LAN port and its ip address is 192.168.1.254 and it's configure for point to point bridging with the wireless router 2 functioning as a repeater. Something like that...

need help with connecting a wireless belkin router

Hello! Could someone please help me. I have connected my belkin router and it was working fine but just recently it wouldn't work. I also checked to make sure all the lights are working on the router and it is working but I can't access the internet on the client's pc. I am using windows xp service 2 pack and the firewall is disabled. I also just noticed that my ip address has been acting weird but I am using DHCP setting. My IP address is something liked: 220.239.100.2 and my subnet is 255.255.255.0. Is this common? My IP address was 192.168 .... before!

please help... thanks

Piano, next time you should start your own thread instead of posting your problem into somebody else.

My suggestion is to reset your router, there should be a small hole that says reset. Just use a pin or tooth pick and hold it down for about 20 second and wait until the light is steady.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom