Connect to c$ on another pc as admin

Status
Not open for further replies.

straightv6

Not A Super Techie
I open windows explorer and type in \\192.168.1.2\c$ and a user name login window pops up but only gives me the option to log in as "guest". How can I log in as administrator or another user? I'm using xp pro

put in the admin user and pass for that particular computer.

On a side note c$ was a backdoor share set up by default on win2k machines. I do not believe it was set up on xp. Just make sure the c drive is shared and then you can connect with \\192.168.x.xxx and then select the c drive from there.

put in the admin user and pass for that particular computer.

On a side note c$ was a backdoor share set up by default on win2k machines. I do not believe it was set up on xp. Just make sure the c drive is shared and then you can connect with \\192.168.x.xxx and then select the c drive from there.

Yes, it is on XP as well. (enabled as a default). It actually started before that. I know that I've seen it on 4.0 but it could have been there in 3.51 too, can't remember.
I think that the OP is referring to is a common problem where the computer trying to be accessed has simple file sharing on. In this case straightv6 wouldn't be able to switch to another account. The guest account could also be disabled.

If you'd like to log in as another user, Turn simple file sharing off on the computer that you are trying to access. If you want to use the Guest account, then you will have to enable it first (on the computer you are trying to access) and then you should be able to login with the guest account from your other machine.

Thanks mikesgroovin, I turned off simple file sharing and was able to log in with a different account.

How to configure file sharing in Windows XP

To turn Simple File Sharing on or off in Windows XP Professional, follow these steps:

1. Double-click My Computer on the desktop.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
3. Click the View tab, and then select the Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended) check box to turn on Simple File Sharing. (Clear this check box to turn off this feature.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom