Computer Training for kids?

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hello all,

A friend of mine has a son who has a real interest for computers. His son is 9 right now, but my friend was hoping to find some camps, classes, or any other resources to help him learn about computers at an early age. He asked me for recommendations and I gave him everything I could think of, but I just wanted to check here and see if anyone had any recommendations.

Thanks!!

Is the dad into computers? If so he should be teaching his son. Depending on your area they may have some 'workshops' at local schools and libraries but most of those are geared for high school and older.

My dad showed me a ton of stuff growing up, taking apart PC's, ect. I think kids learn best with experience, give him an old PC to take apart, replace parts and rebuild (with that said don't allow them to take apart the power supply - it could give you a lethal zap).

Is the dad into computers? If so he should be teaching his son. Depending on your area they may have some 'workshops' at local schools and libraries but most of those are geared for high school and older.

My dad showed me a ton of stuff growing up, taking apart PC's, ect. I think kids learn best with experience, give him an old PC to take apart, replace parts and rebuild (with that said don't allow them to take apart the power supply - it could give you a lethal zap).

+1 to this. Plus, father-son bonding time :D.

Well to be quiet honest, I took my interest in computers when I was 9 also, however I could never find any workshops/classes on computers. School "Computer" classes are a joke because the teacher usually teaches how to use word 2011 at my school. I tried to find some workshops, found one and it was for people who knew NOTHING whatsoever of computers. Some workshops are good if you want to know how to turn on a computer but no more then that. Since then I am 15 now and in my opinion teaching yourself a little bit goes a long way. Another great tool is online classes. I know I took some which helped me know the basicis and youtube is also an amazing sight for some tech info. Now being self taught isnt for everyone so if he does want to take classes, hopefully you will have better luck then me finding some.

I agree with you. To be honest, it is a friend from work so I don't know him too well but he doesn't seem to be too tech-savvy so I would imagine he is not really too knowledgeable with computers. I'll recommend he find some old computers for his son to take apart (minus the power supply!)

My sons were a little older than 9, more like 12, but what I did was buy them each all the parts for a build and then told them to put it together. Of course I was available for them to ask questions. I think it was a great learning experience for them and since then they each have built a number of their own computers and wouldn't consider buying pre-built.

Back
Top Bottom