Computer Security (Machine ID)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwright

Baseband Member
Hello

I have various online bookmaker accounts as I like to make a bet every now and then. Problem is, other members of my family also hold accounts and like to make bets and we all use the same computer. Some online bookmakers don't seem to like two people (whether they are from the same family or not) using 1 computer to access their different accounts.

They say that it breaches their security policy. Although, many staff members that I have spoken to believe that the computer system is being over cautious, but their is nothing they can do about it as that is what the company security system has been designed to do.

My question is: How can I overcome this security check which seems to be tracking some form of ID from my computer to be able to recognise that the same computer is being used for different accounts?

I know that it is not an IP address that it is recognising because my IP address is Dynamic and I change it with every 'log in'

I have noticed that some bookmakers refer to it as a 'Machine ID' that has been logged. What is this Machine ID? Is it the ID or my Network Card or some other form of ID that a computer can be recognised by? Would partitioning my hard drive help to solve the problem?

If any one is able to help and maybe provide me with some ideas on how to disquise or change this ID at will, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

dwright

There probberly using a tracking cookie to log your visit , try clearing out your cookies folder and get it blocked once you know the name of it , that should stop them tracking you ;)

Ok, thanks - so clearing my cookies each time a different person logs in may solve that problem.

There are other situations (which I forgot to mention) where the company issues software for me to download and use on my computer. When I use downloaded software I can log in to the software in one name only. It won't allow another family member to then log in.

To get around this problem I have tried uninstalling the software completely, then reinstalling and then allowing other family members to sign in. This does not work as the software seems to remember the original account name to download the software and log in, and doesnÂ’t let another account sign in.

I am guessing that when the software is installed, it saves account details onto the Registry and these details aren't cleared when you uninstall. Or maybe it is recognizing the ID of the computer through the MAC Address?

Might any of these be the case, and how could they be overcome? Would creating separate partitions on my hard drive and installing a separate Operating System for each partition solve these problems? This may solve the Tracking Cookie problem as well without having to instead delete cookies each time? I can't see that having separate partitions would hide the MAC Address, but I'd be very interested to hear what anyone has to say on these topics. Thanks in advance.

dwright

Don't create new partitions or install operating systems on each one! are you logged in as the admin for the computer? the other users might have restricted access so cant use the software.

The machine ID could be the MAC, the machine ID is just an identifier for the pc might not be the MAC address. If its online it could be just using cookies so download Ccleaner found in my sig below and use it to clean out everything.

I am not logged in as the Admin for the computer, but I am sure I can arrange that. However, I don't see how I can install exactly the same software program multiple times on a computer without creating partitions and separate OS's (or at least separate Partitions or Drives).

I have tried downloading and installing the software twice (creating a duplicate version of the software to be used by the other account), but it doesn't allow it. Whether that is to do with the software preventing people to run two versions of the software, or the computer not allowing two clones of the same software to be run on the same drive, i don't know. But, I believe creating partitions would solve this problem, would that be the case?

I would just have to deal with the potential access restrictions that partitioning and separate OS's may cause. In effect I am trying to simulate having multiple computers, but by only using one computer.

This may solve the problem of installing multiple versions of the software on one computer, but I may still have the problem of signing in to accounts if the MAC Address is being used by the software to recognise the computer. Is it the case that a computer would have one MAC Address regardless of having multiple partitions and OS? How can a MAC Address be disguised? Thanks again

dwright

Thanks Baronvongogo - I will look into those two options.

So having separate OS's on the same drive would still allow me to install multiple versions of the same software on my hard drive without having to partition?

I am assuming then, that creating separate OS's is in effect, like creating separate computers on one computer, and that all files and potential cookies would be stored within each OS setup? This is obviously what I am am aiming for as I don't want the cookies placed on my machine by the software to be stored in one place. This I imagine would not solve the cookie problem, if it were the case.

if you use Ccleaner it will clear all tempory files and cookies try running that instead.

If the website is getting your IP that is given by your ISP then cant be changed unless you use a proxy website.

The website is not picking up the same IP each time, as my IP is Dynamic. Each time I turn my router on and off the IP issued by my ISP changes. This is not the problem.

Clearing temporary files and cookies still won't actually solve the problem of not being able to install multiple versions of the same software on 1 computer. For example, you can't install a copy Microsoft Office on your computer more once, I wouldn't have thought? If you were to try, the 2nd install would just update over the 1st and you would still be left with 1 copy.

Ideally i don't want to have to delete cookies each time I use the computer, and I don't think they will be an issue if I do as you have said and create multiple OS's (using Virtual PC). If you think that cookies may still be an issue, then I may have to consider Partitioning. Bottom line is, I need to install duplicates of the same software on one PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom