Computer Lab problems.

There are several solutions on corporate level or mass-distribution but as he was using CloneZilla, a clean install before joining the domain would be the simplest option to make an image.

Yes it is possible to just remove and re-add the computer to the domain but anyone working in IT knows nothing ever goes the way you want it to and its never just that simple.

It's been that simple when I've had to do it ;).

Delete from AD > Re-Add to AD > On system, put on Workgroup (remove from domain) > Re-Add to Domain > Done.

I've had to do that several times when domain-join didn't work right in SCCM at where I work now (i.e. I gave the wrong credentials, or added to wrong group, etc.).

But yes, taking an image before adding it to the domain would be best.

However, you were suggesting that he performs a clean install on all the lab computers (unless I was misinterpreting your post).

I've had so many problems with computers being dropped from the domain at my district.

The problem? district time servers were set to the year 2040.

odd.

Why not just do a clean install?

You can use a program like Jellybean to get the cd-key if needed.
You can also download an iso from the microsoft website.

I tried that but the only Windows Vista disc that I've been able to find is to damaged to work.

EDIT: Quite a few of the discs are very damaged, I've only been at this job a few months and this was my first time using the Vista disc.

EDIT2: Due to the weather I probably won't be able to try removing and then re-adding the computers today. Maybe tomorrow or Friday if the weather clears up... If not then it will wait til Monday.

Now to figure out this VPN stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, clone the hard drive of one of the computers. That's your best (read: easiest and most efficient) bet.

Talk to the district IT staff. See if you can get some kind of network imaging system set up. I'm sure the techs at the other schools will love you for that :tongue:

EDIT: I forgot to mention... Ours is a bit more complicated than that. Every computer is barcoded and the computer name is set to "SCHOOL"-barcode

ie, if I'm at a school named Independence working on computer with a barcode 1234567, to login locally we'd just put "IND-1234567". Makes inventorying easier.

Last edited:
Yeah, clone the hard drive of one of the computers. That's your best (read: easiest and most efficient) bet.

Talk to the district IT staff. See if you can get some kind of network imaging system set up. I'm sure the techs at the other schools will love you for that :tongue:

EDIT: I forgot to mention... Ours is a bit more complicated than that. Every computer is barcoded and the computer name is set to "SCHOOL"-barcode

ie, if I'm at a school named Independence working on computer with a barcode 1234567, to login locally we'd just put "IND-1234567". Makes inventorying easier.

We don't really have a district IT staff. I work with the elementary school, high school, and middle school computers + servers.

The middle school and high school students all have MacBooks so neither of those schools have labs, but the elementary school has a computer lab for the students to use.

Oh.. Well then. All 13 of our schools have labs. The middle schools have two... so we have maybe 15 labs, ~500 computers.. Each classroom has seven or eight computers, so.. maybe around 2,600 computers district-wide. Our setup would be impossible / very difficult to work with without network imaging :tongue:

Back
Top Bottom