Computer Engineer Technology question

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLife

Baseband Member
I'm picking my major in college and I really want to do something with computer's and I was wondering how much math do you use in the computer field and what the different type of jobs are, thanks any help is much appreciated!

Math answer: College you'll need calculus...real world...i'm not to sure but most people say you don't use much

job answer: software, networking, hardware, technician are the basic types of jobs (not the actual job titles themself..just saying are based around those things)

Math answer: College you'll need calculus...real world...i'm not to sure but most people say you don't use much

job answer: software, networking, hardware, technician are the basic types of jobs (not the actual job titles themself..just saying are based around those things)

thanks for the help! rep'd

Depends on the type of computer degree. Computer Science will involve a TON of math, talking 5 to 8 classes extra of math in college compared to a Computer Information System degree in which the math requirement is similar to any other degree in that field (IE at my school computer college was part of the business college, so CIS degree only required what business required which was 2 math classes).

As for jobs it depends on the degree. Computer Science is more programming and engineering while Computer Information Systems is everything else (network admin, some programming, hands on networking and helpdesk).

I don't know anything about 'real world' usage of math outside of collge...but I'm a Computer Engineering student, and I can tell you that you will definitely have to sit many math courses in order to complete your major. I've had to take Calc I & II, Differential Equations, Probability and Stats, and I'm taking discrete math over the summer online. Not to mention Calc Based Physics I & II, Chemistry, and Electrical Circuits, which are all math based sciences. This is only what I've had to take so far...

Now this is for my Computer Engineering major, which is completely separate program from the Computer Science program at my school. The simplest way to describe the difference between the two majors is Computer Engineer is geared more towards hardware development, while CS teaches software development. Even though I do have to take CS courses for my major...they're intended to teach us basic languages like C so we could potentially program micro-controllers and such to develop hardware.

Make sure you're aware of what type of "Computer Technology" program you're getting into, and that it's the one you want.

I don't know anything about 'real world' usage of math outside of collge...but I'm a Computer Engineering student, and I can tell you that you will definitely have to sit many math courses in order to complete your major. I've had to take Calc I & II, Differential Equations, Probability and Stats, and I'm taking discrete math over the summer online. Not to mention Calc Based Physics I & II, Chemistry, and Electrical Circuits, which are all math based sciences. This is only what I've had to take so far...

Now this is for my Computer Engineering major, which is completely separate program from the Computer Science program at my school. The simplest way to describe the difference between the two majors is Computer Engineer is geared more towards hardware development, while CS teaches software development. Even though I do have to take CS courses for my major...they're intended to teach us basic languages like C so we could potentially program micro-controllers and such to develop hardware.

Make sure you're aware of what type of "Computer Technology" program you're getting into, and that it's the one you want.

CS involves a lot a math too. I'll end up with 21 credit hours after all of them.

Code:
    * MTH 132 - Pre-Calculus with Science Applications (3 hrs)
    * MTH 220 - Discrete Structures (3 hrs)
    * MTH 229 - Calculus with Analytic Geometry I (5 hrs)
    * MTH 230 - Calculus with Analytic Geometry II (4 hrs)
    * MTH 329 - Elementary Linear Algebra (3 hrs)
    * MTH 345 - Applied Probability and Statistics (3 hrs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom