Computer Constantly Skipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
That really isnt a good measure. The heat sink draws all the heat away from the CPU that is what it is designed for. I have seen temps read as low as 29C but the heat sink was so hot you could fry a egg on it. So by feeling itsnt a good gadge cause the heatsink will always be hot to the touch.

Cheers,
Mak

Well I updated all my drivers then ran the Seagate Tools to check my harddrive. Everything seems fine running at a constant 34 degrees. But my computer is still skipping. Any other things to check?

--Raw P

Open the task manager and let us know what processes if any that reach 100% cpu during this skipping as you describe.

Only process I see reach 100% is the System Idle Process. I thought it was normal for it to be at that level, but mine stays constantly at 90-100 and does not go down.

--Raw P

Try exiting all programs that you have running in the background. Not all programs have a tray icon so you'll have to kill them from the task manager. Better yet see if the problem occurs in safe mode.

I am led to believe that something running in my computer is causing the problem. I will test out the computer in safemode tomorrow. For now I'm going to sleep.

--Raw P

Sorry for the double post. I just tested my computer in safemode and everything runs fine with no problems. Wish I could say the same for my computer running in normal mode.

--Raw P

System Idle = % of CPU doing nothing, or "idle"

Any other processes spiking?

While you say "entire system" what you are referring to is what you see. It could very well be your GFX going out. The easiest way to test would be to use a different display adapter (another GFX card or onboard) and see if it continues.

Everest will show you all the temps of your hardware.
|MG| EVEREST Free Edition 2.20
|MG| EVEREST Ultimate Edition 4.50.1480 Beta

as stated, see if you can run your onboard video and get the same results. clear your Taskmanager by disabling all USER based process EXCEPT explorer *this is your UI*. if you still get skipping, run auslogics defragger, choose the option "move files to front of Disk"

I still have the problem with my onboard video. When I turn off all processes the computer seems to be fine. I wanted to test an application so I logged into Steam. The problem started to occur. My computer was only at 35% cpu usage. I checked the temperature of my hardware, nothing was over 40. I downloaded Auslogics Disk Defragger but I do not see an option to "move files to front of Disk." Do I have to scan first? Is it really necessary to run it even after using O&O Defrag?

--Raw P

In the device manager verify that all IDE devices are operating in DMA mode. Also check that write caching is enabled for all hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom