Cmd problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

X2Xtreme360

In Runtime
I'm trying to network two computers right now as you can see I posted a topic erlier on the matter. I obviously want/need to be able to access the cmd/command file to get into the MS-DOS based program so I can find some information. I upgraded my computer from Windows 98 SE to a Windows 2000 pro quite a while ago (if that has any relevance to my situation) and when I go to Start>Run and type either cmd or command in box, I recieve a message saying

C:\WINNT\system32\command.com
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I am also given another option labaled 'Ignore' however the MS-DOS program is terminated anyhow. Is there anyway I can find out why my command prompt wont work? Thanks.

Ok, what happened is that your autoexec.nt got corrupted.

What you need to do is find your i386 directory. It will either be in C:\i386, C:\windows\i386 or you will have to get it off your windows install cd.

Once you do, open up a cmd prompt (start -> run -> cmd).

Then type this.

expand c:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

Replace c:\i386 above with wherever your i386 folder is located.

You might get a similar problem right after you do this saying either command.com is not compatable. If you do type the same thing, but replace autoexec.nt_ with command.co_ and expand it to c:\windows\system32\command.com

The windows support page for this can be found here
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...kb;en-us;305521

PS. A search of the forums brought up about 6 other posts that I've posted this exact info in.

Awesome... thanks

The only thing I had trouble with was the windows part of the file file names. I forgot in 2000 it's WINNT, but other than that the information helped me out. I appreciate you both for the information, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom