cloning a hd with norton ghost 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tried 5 times now and I'm getting frustrated. can someone point me out to a good tutorial on how to do this?

I am using two external drive readers with windows 7 os. I can clone the drive and just looking at the drive, it looks good, but it will not boot into xp like the original.

the original is a wd400, I'm cloning to a wd400, jumpers were/are all set to cable select, no problem finding the drives, it just will not boot to my clone. yes I check for errors, yes I check set drive active (for booting os) and yes I checked copy MBR.

It copies all files, but I can't boot from the drive, no os found. the one time afterwards, I got a signature collision error.

I'm lost,
dave

Are you checking the drive for a bootable OS and making sure to copy the MBR when cloning? If you don't check those two options during the cloning process the drive will not boot, it will copy the files, just not boot.

"yes I check for errors, yes I check set drive active (for booting os) and yes I checked copy MBR. "

do I have to run it with the boot cd or can it be done through windows, because I'm having no luck through windows. everything is there in windows that it looks like I need. being 2 external drives, one source and one destination, I'm thinking I wouldn't need to go into through the boot cd. any ideas?

Let me ask this. Are you cloning XP from Win7 and then trying to boot XP and it isnt working? That will happen. Simply put your copying the wrong boot files. You are copying the boot files for XP as Win7 sees them, not as XP sees them. So of course you wont be able to boot to XP.

If you want to clone XP and have it boot, you have to first be within XP and then clone it so it takes the right boot files with it.

Let me ask this. Are you cloning XP from Win7 and then trying to boot XP and it isnt working? That will happen. Simply put your copying the wrong boot files. You are copying the boot files for XP as Win7 sees them, not as XP sees them. So of course you wont be able to boot to XP.

If you want to clone XP and have it boot, you have to first be within XP and then clone it so it takes the right boot files with it.

I C. I figured it wouldn't matter what your running for an os, that should be irrelevant. I'm running the os from one drive, then I have two separate drives, make this one a clone of that one.

I watched a few more videos, read a few more posts, I have a couple more ideas to try tonight after work.

I'll let you know how they turn out.

No what OS your running is completely relevant as that OS is how the boot order will be seen. The markings for the XP boot will not be the same in Win7 as it will be in XP. Cause XP will see itself marked different per the SSID than Win7 will. It would be like me trying to start an Accord with my Civic key. They are both made by Honda so it should be irrelevant right? Wrong.

But know this, doing so will not keep your multiboot setup. If you want to do that you have to clone the entire drive AS IS and not be able to boot each one individually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom