Certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

odz2win

Beta member
I just have a few questions for you folks.

I am in the IT field as a Network administrator for a small marketing company. I would like to get another job paying more as he company I work for doesn't have the funds to pay what I think I deserve. I took classes for my CCNA, A+ & CNA but only took the CNA test (now quite outdated) & half the A+ (Both of which i passed). This was at least 6-7 years ago. Ultimately i would like a job in computer security but right now I am content with being an admin until I get to that point. I have at least 3 years experience.

I was thinking about taking some courses online to help me prepare for the certs I plan on pursuing. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The Certifications I may be interested in for the time being (the next year or 2) are as follows:

A+
Network+
Security+
MCSE
CCNA

Probably in that order.
Does anyone think an A+ cert is worth it for the field I am trying to pursue?
Should i do them in a different order?
Is there anything I may be missing? (considering this is a 1-2 year plan)
Is this feasible for a 1-2 year plan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If you go for your A+, wait until I think its November of this year because they are changing the tests. It will still be two tests, just different after November.

As for MCSE, that is going by the wayside, it is being replaced with ... awe dang, it escapes me - wait, MCITP ? I think that is it. It is like 2 or 3 tests for a core, then you need a couple more tests in a "track" so its like 3 tests for MCITP, then the two other tests you get another cert. Lexluethar has this stuff down pretty good, maybe he will swing by here and help you with that in more detail.

As for Network +, Security +, etc. I wont comment on that because I havent looked in to them as much as some other certs. Good luck with your goals, odz2win :D

Thanks, after reading some of the other post on the forum i realize the MCSE is shot :(

I'll have to look into the MCITP, I am Just now getting to know with vista....

Thank you so much for your input. Any more help from yourself & the other readers will be greatly appreciated.

No problem, and welcome to Tech Forums by the way.

Just to make clear here, the MCITP is pretty much the same as the MCSE, its just called the MCITP now. But in a way, it isnt like the MCSE because the MCITP you get in like two or three tests, the MCSE was I think 5 ? I dont remember.

Anyway, it is set up differently with the MCITP but Microsoft has set up a bunch of certification tracks you can take after the MCITP which show you have a specialty toward whatever track(s) you end up choosing after taking the MCITP.

That looks like a pretty solid plan IMO, but I don't think the A+ would really be necessary. Reason being is you already have 3 years experience, the A+ is supposed to be equivalent to like a year experience. If you have held a network admin job for 3 years the A+ really won't do you a whole lot of good IMO. It is geared towards people trying to get into the IT field OR people who only have about a year or less of hardware experience (real world not playing with yer computer at home).

Net+ just came out in Feb with a new exam, and I believe the Security+ just came out with one as well (004 exam i believe). I bring that up so you aren't studying / taking outdated exams as they will still sell those books and allow you to pay for those exams / classes.

Is that a doable plan - yes. I can't comment on the CCNA though, but I believe it would be a bit tougher than a Net+ (CCNA looked at more highly than Net+ in the workplace I believe). As for the MCSE, you can still take that exam if you want but they are supporting it less and less. This website from microsoft really explained the differences between MCSA / MCSE / MCITP. It isn't really 'replacing' it per-say but it definately is the 'new way' of taking the exams. IT is just microsofts way of departmentalizing the MCSE, so now you can get a near equivalent exam in database, programming, sql, server, etc. Straight from this site: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcitp.aspx#tab3

Q. Does MCSA equate to MCITP: Server Administrator and does MCSE equate to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator?

A.
No, not exactly. The MCITP on Windows Server 2008 certification requires a new skill set—in some cases, a more robust one—that differs from the skill set needed for MCSA and MCSE certifications.

MCITP: Server Administrator certification covers more operations-related job skills than the MCSA certification.

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator maps to an actual job role profile, whereas the MCSE certification does not. The latter combines technology and job skills.

Q. Are the MCTS and MCITP certifications replacing the MCSA and MCSE credentials?

A.
No. The MCSA and MCSE certifications are not being replaced. There is no change to the Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 tracks and certifications. The MCTS and MCITP certifications are for Windows Server 2008.

IMHO you should take the CCNA, then the Net+ (new one)), then the Security+, then either the MCITP: Server Administrator or the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator (what i'm studying for - both found on the above website).

You could even probably skimp out on the Net+ if you want, CCNA is looked at more highly I believe than the Net+. If you are taking the first MCITP exam i posted it may be closer to 2 years as it is a lenghy exam :(

Sorry for the long post, a lot of stuff to cover. Sounds like you have a solid plan, just revise a bit IMHO and then go for it. Remember to ensure you are taking the newest exams. I can't comment on classes as I just purchase the books and read them then work on the OS myself. Rather spend 300 or so on books than 1500 to 3000 on a class.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom