CDBOOT: Couldn't Find NTLDR error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I have a Dell Dimension 4100 that someone gave to me. It has Windows XP home on it right now. I am trying to reformat it and put XP Pro on it. The problem is when I try to boot from the Windows cd, I get the message "CDBOOT: Couldn't Find NTLDR error message and it reboots. Is this a problem with the cd or something not configured right in the bios? The Windows cd is a full legit version I got from IUS although it is seven years old.

Yes it is set to boot from the cd first.

I do not get an option to press any key. It justs says "CDBOOT: Couldn't Find NTLDR" and restarts.

Does the disk look like it might be scratched? Do you have access to another windows installation disk?

Ace

The disk does not look like it is scratched that bad. There is a small spot that is a pink color towards the center of the cd.

I do have another disk but have not tried it yet. I will try it this evening. The other disk I have is the 64bit version of XP Pro. Would I be able to install that on a 32bit machine without no problems or would it not let me install it at all?

The machine is not seeing your CD's. If it doesnt give you that "Hit a key to start setup" message and gives you the BootMGR is missing it is skipping the Optical Device and trying to boot from your hard drive.

Solve that issue first. Then worry about what OS to install.

Let me clear something up, I tried the XP cd in a Vista machine and it would not recognize it. The machine that I am trying to reinstall XP on recognizes the cd, but takes forever to open it up in Windows. That is why I think there is something wrong with the cd.

So you are saying on the machine that I am trying to reinstall XP on, I should set the hard drive to boot first?

Carnagex, I have a seperate full and legal XP Pro 64bit disc and I do have a key for it.

There is no such thing as a XP Machine or a Vista machine or a Linux machine. It is either a PC or it is not. That is the extent of that.

I am not saying you should set the hard drive to boot first. I am saying that it is bypassing the CD Drive completely and trying to boot from the hard drive.

So simply put is the XP CD Pre SP2 or Post SP2. Meaning is it a disk with SP2 or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom