CD Drive /Flash Drive Inaccessable. Crossed Out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard596

In Runtime
Working on a friend's computer and there seems to be some kind of permissions issue with removable drives.
When I try to access the drive with a regular CD inserted, I just get the blank writable CD window. When I try to access a USB flash drive, I get an "access is denied" error. The icons for the removable drives are displayed with a red crossed out circle over them (see attached pic).

I tried using Microsoft's automatic fix for removing upper and lower filters but it failed, so I deleted them manually, but that didn't have any effect.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• -1.jpg
    -1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 98
Have you gone through Osiris's Guide on that PC? Could be something nasty stopping it. Other than that it is a permission issue. Are they the Admin of the PC or just a user?

I haven't done anything else with this PC yet. I did just try to download combofix and I got a permission denied error trying to save it to the root c:\. The user is an administrator, but obviously having some weird permission problems.

I would say that they are in fact infected. If they are the Admin and they have not setup any GPO or other permissions like this then it is a infection that is preventing them from trying to remove it. Best bet, Safe Mode with Networking.

Yup, it was indeed an infection. Ran several different scanners, all of which found and removed junk and after a few of those, the drives started working again. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom