Cave Story, Highly Recommended!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
Hey so I came across this recommendation from someone as being the best freeware game of all time for the PC ( it won a couple of awards ). Its a Japanese 2d platformer Reminiscent of metroid, mario, and megaman but far superior in many ways with story narration and gameplay elements. Its done by some Japanese guy and it took 5+ years and is so popular that nintendo bought the rights to have a Wii and DS port of it. Check it out, the games japanese and therefore don't let the cutesy aesthetics fool you, this game is very hardcore and is pretty darn tough ( the last series of final bosses is flat out ridiculous, I found myself screaming, oh come on?! are they serious? ) and the game even has multiple endings and hidden bosses that are drastically different to boost replay value ( the games not very long ). The game was made in 2004 and purposefully has 8 bit music to bring a nostalgia feel, and it has my high recommendation!

this website has everything you need, be sure to download the deluxe edition that is already english translated for you, no patches required and it works fine on pretty much any windows OS. Try to play through it without using a walkthrough.

Cave Story (Doukutsu Monogatari), A Tribute Site

If your still not convinced just check out the youtube trailer some guy made for it. Why buy it on the Wii and DS when you can have it for free on the PC! The trailer shows just how high quality of a free game it is.

YouTube - Cave Story Trailer

this game seriously deserves way more recognition then it got!

Saw first 3 second of youtube vid. Downloading!

The first three seconds was just the black title screen with their horrid first song choice ( the music really is good just the title screen music sounds horrible )

Never been one for 2d scrollers, so this doesn't appeal to me at all..

Maybe i'll try it if someone convinces me it's the best thing ever made.

Well, I'll give it a shot, but I'm probably not going to play it very often. I would hope those ports have better graphics than that.

Aren't almost all Japanese gamers ps3 and wii players? I didn't think there was much pc goin on over there.

Well, I'll give it a shot, but I'm probably not going to play it very often. I would hope those ports have better graphics than that.

Aren't almost all Japanese gamers ps3 and wii players? I didn't think there was much pc goin on over there.

better graphics? How can a 2d platformer have better graphics then that? The action is buttery smooth and theres a whole ton of sprites and animations. I can't think of a 2d platform game that has better graphics?

Besides the graphics are even more impressive when you consider the fact that its a freeware game :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom