cat 6 cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendo007

Baseband Member
the compnay i work for is getting another 45 data runs in the office for additional pcs. they want to run cat 6 cable to the new pc's without changing any of the other equipment. is the extra expense something you guys and gals would suggest? these new runs are all over our existing area so they are not in a particular spot. they will be punched down on our existing panels. i was under the impression that the cables would have no performance increase due to the fact that the panels are going to be the same. am i correct?

There would be no need for Cat6 cables unless you are using Gigabit Ethernet.... Cat5 is more than good enough to run 10/100 Meg ethernet.

Are the PC's and routers/switches (whatever you are using) rated for Gigabit ethernet?

Also, what do you mean by 'punching down' the cables? Just putting the ends on them?

switches are capable of the gigabit. here is the configuration of the rack. the punch downs are at the top and switches at the bottom.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 29
Nice deal...

If the PC's and applications on them (not to mention the users) are able to utilize the bandwidth above the 100 MBps point, then yeah, sounds like a good plan.

BTW... I am VERY anal about certain things, cable management is one of them... NICE WORK there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom