Cars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry but its very hard to find a 1000 dollar reliable automobile and if you do its not something you will want. If you have full coverage you can walk away from any accident and get your money back out of it. If your talking from the safety prespective, I would switch to some hooptie with 10 foot of hood out in front of you. :p I would spend 3 to 4k and buy something with decent paint and looks halfway respectable so you can take some hunnies out in it.

john3 said:
what do you guys think of this?
http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/details.aspx?vlotid=1526743&adid=5206304

if you dont mind looking around in that site for cars in the Toronto area, and suggest some, i'd appreciate it.
Hey what do you think of this car? Its a SVT contour. I had this car for five years without hardly any problems and will beat a Civic SI and celicas. You can pickup a nice used one for 4300. They come with Leather seats all the options and a V6 200hp and 180lbs tq. I always got a lot of looks in the car and also embarrased a few v8's with it. I sold mine when it had 130,000 on it and was still running strong.
104_0444.JPG

Lucky b@stard, parents buying you a car. My parents will have none of that, i have to buy it myself (hence why i dont have a car currently :p ).

We bought an 87 Honda Prelude for $500 in running and very good condition. That thing drives like a bat outa h3ll. I would suggest getting something you could learn and not have to worry about wrecking if you ever came to that. Besides, insurance is much cheaper on most older cars.

If you lived in the US id say go w/ a Hyundai. They are trying so hard to get into the US market against Japanese cars that i talked a dealer down to 18/5 on a fully equpied top of the line Hyundai Tiburon w/ leather bucket seats, 300watt stock Kenwood system w/ 6 disk changer and 12" stock sub, woodgrain dash, optional 6 speed trani, 17" rims, and a turbo upgrade w/ the 5(?) year warratny. I cant remember on the warranty. Twas a Hyundai Tiburon SE V6 lol. Then i ****ed him off cause i was like meh, thats mine over there and im not really interested and drove off haha. I was really there for my gfs brother whos buying his new car as well. I think hes gonna get an Impala but not sure. (Using dads A credit as a co-signer). Anywho dont try to make your first car all pretty and fancy cause odly enough youll most likely wreck it. I did mine but it was a freakin boat (Lincoln) so i didnt care. Bent him up real good but made a scratch on my headlight hahaha. Good times. Good luck on your car buying.

Just go grab a piece of crap Tempo or Topaz,You can pick them up for about $800 max certified and e-tested,Plus you can drive em into the ground and still get good gas mileage no matter what :D

DustynF said:
If you have full coverage you can walk away from any accident and get your money back out of it.
Have you seen the price of full coverage for new drivers. About the only thing that is going for me is that i am over the age of 25, otherwise i would be paying even more.

john3 said:
Guys, im soon to get my license, and as a present my parents offered to buy me a cheap like honda or something that I will soupe up myself. here is my problem, i dont know the first thing about making changes to cars, and i want to know if anyone knows of a forum as helpful as this one about cars.

the fact that you want to buy a cheap honda and "soupe it up" shows you don't know much about cars. you're going to need ALOT of money to get it to a point where it's somewhat fast. those cars are designed for economy, not speed. they do have a very strong aftermarket support, but a muffler and an intake isn't going to do much for you other than make your car louder.

a rule of thumb for cars:
cheap, fast, reliable. pick two.

generally, if you're going to modify a car, it's smart to use its strong points to your advantage. in the case of smaller hondas, they are light weight and handle reasonably well. strut bars and sway bars will help handling ALOT and will make driving much more fun. slightly large wheels with better tires and a 1" to 1.5" drop will be fun also (and it'll look better)

if you're going to modify the engine, prepare to spend alot of money and make sure you know what you're doing before you do anything.

I had a 1995 Mazda MX-6 LS V6, and that was a nice choice, IMO. It went 0-60 in 7.4 seconds stock. I upgraded the intake, throttle body, put on cat-back Borla exhaust, upgraded clutch and flywheel. 0-60 in 6.7s. Added front and rear strut bars, 1.8" drop, much better tires, and it performed better than some high-end sports cars I had driven. But this was all at the cost of reliabilty and the clutch eventually broke and took my transmission with it. end of the MX-6....

Some cars respond to mods better than others. Do your research beforehand, and yes, there's message boards for almost every car out there that can offer valuable information, how-to's, etc.

In summary, don't f**k up the car your parents buy for you

:D

-edit- here's a picture of my baby, may she rest in peace:

get cars at auctions if you can or bank repos

my dad needed a **** car to take to his work and that reliable and has really really good gas mileage since his work is about 50miles away and my uncle bought him a 1999 black civic dx hatchback for $2300 with round 120k miles ill post pics of it later but you can get cars dirt cheap there.

pics:

^ lol i did that ran into a mudhole thing by accident

exactly how we got it nothing was added for $2300 after tax and registration and everything i dunno how much it actually was cause i just know my dad gave my uncle $2300 and thats it.

i dont want anything fast, i have no intention of modding the engine, im a n00b when it comes to that stuff, but my dad might. i want something reliable and most importantly, LOOKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom