Career Change at 35 to IT

TechKnight

Beta member
First wanted to say hello to everyone, I am new to the site but have been reading posts on it for a few weeks. I have a few questions and hope to get some advice. I have searched through the threads and read some (somewhat) similar posts but still a little unsure.

Background: I turned 35 this year and I have always had an interest in Internet technology & security, after working for the past 7 years in timeshare sales, vacation planning, & hospitality.... I want to make a change. I have a Bachelors degree in Political Science, with a minor in Criminal Justice. I currently work for a major time share company doing call center Customer Support (vacation planning). I recently interviewed and was hired as a Tier 1 tech support for a major cable/internet provider. I am currently debating on whether or not this is a good move for me to change to the support position. The pay is a little less than what I currently am making, but not a lot. Ultimate goal, work up to network admin and get into network security. Here is my plan below and please any feedback is greatly appreciated.

-Start Tier 1 desktop support (high speed internet) and study for A+ and Network + with a goal of completing both around 6 months-1 year. After completion; start applying for Tier II or Tier III support positions.

-Land Tier II or III and begin studying for Security + while gaining experience, 2-3 years experience before applying for possible Network Admin positions.

-Possibly complete Masters (IT) and complete further required Security certs.

Any thoughts? Is the Tier I support tech (HSI) what everyone recommends for a god starting place

Thanks everyone...

Sounds like you have a solid plan. If you are wanting to make the move into IT it sounds like this new opportunity is the right move. Only you can make that decision though.

Those are realistic goals too IMO, get the job and get your feet wet. While you are working get a few certifications and move up from there. Net+, A+ and Security+ are all good starts. If you are wanting to go the networking route i think the next certification step would be CCNA.

I agree sounds like your realistically approaching the career change with a solid head on your shoulders! Good luck my friend!

Thanks, ya I did my research and tried to be as realistic as possible. I know it will be somewhat of a pay cut initially for me coming form a "sales commission" environment. However, i am confident in the long run it will pay off and open more opportunities to me. Thanks for your response.

Hit us up if you have questions. You have set a realistic goal and that is a really important step in changing career paths.

You may be able to knock out more certifications and jump start getting that network admin job - just depends.

I went from help desk, to level 2 help desk, to desktop support then into a network administrator position in about 4 years. Admittedly I was VERY fortunate to get the chance I got so early on, I wouldn't have been surprised if it was 6 years before getting a network / system admin position.

Back
Top Bottom