capture devices...

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1gapl

Mod Emeritus
Can anyone suggest a capture device. I want to transfer videos from my camcorder into the computer and also capture VHS if thats possible.
And what are the best brand names to look for? I also would like a TV tuner that goes with it.

horndude, do you have a 150 working in linux?

i used to have mine working via ivtv, and i broke it some where along the line and cant seem to get it to work again. can you help me?

I have a 350, the v4L linux kernel module picks it up no problem, from there you just need a front end, I use mplayer via some scripts I wrote to play TV back and I use a hacked version of a program called vcr to do recording. I used mythtv for awhile but never really needed all that stuff. Ive tried a few programs, kdetv wasnt bad, xawtv works too.

best way to troubleshoot yours is run the front end from a terminal and look for the output, after of course making sure at least the kernel knows its there

b1gapl said:
Can anyone suggest a capture device. I want to transfer videos from my camcorder into the computer and also capture VHS if thats possible.
And what are the best brand names to look for? I also would like a TV tuner that goes with it.

another route you can go is buy a dvdrecorder, hook it up wth your vcr/tv, then record it on to a dvdr/rw. then you can transfer it to your pc from the dvdr/rw

the general said:
kernel doesnt know its there

lspci doesnt show it.

wtf? maybe the card itself is broken

ive never ever seen a card of anykind ever fail, but Im sure it can happen, check dmesg and if youve swapped any cards in or out since this happened youve likely got an IRQ conflict, linux will make ONE hardware device work and act the other one isnt there........sometimes this will show in dmesg, sometimes not. I think one of the /proc files has more info but dont recall which one off the top of my head, procinfo command might shed some light

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom