Can't activate my copy of XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyual767

In Runtime
I'm trying to activate XP that I just installed on my Toshiba notebook (formally Vista :sharp_teeth: ). Here are some details:

1. I have a broken 1 1/2 yr old Systemax notebook who's product key I'm trying to use
2. The Systemax reformat disc doesn't seem to want to load properly in the Toshiba so...
3. I used the reformat disc that came with my eMachines desktop PC

When I go to activate Windows XP, some product key automatically comes up in the blanks and Microsoft says that its an incorrect product key. This particular product key is not the product key of the eMachines desktop PC! The activation page allows me to correct the product key so I type in the product key from the broken Systemax notebook. Microsoft comes back and says that it is an incorrect product code.

What should I do?

By the way, I was running the Systemax copy of XP and it was properly activated. I had to reformat the Toshiba due to recently getting a virus. Now the Systemax copy of XP doesn't want to load properly.

Okay, my bad for waiting all the way until I've only got 1 day left to activate my copy of XP. I just got off the phone with Microsoft (someone in India) and they said that they can't do anything for me. They told me to call the manufacturer of my computer. The copy of XP is from my broken Systemax laptop that I bought back in early 2008.

I just tried to call Systemax's customer support but the automated "agent" says that I'm out of my warranty period and I'll have to pay $39 just to talk to someone. Can anyone offer me any help?

It sounds to me like you either have to pay the money for Systemax support, or will have to buy a new Windows liscensed disc.

I would keep calling Microsft till someone can actually help you. There are probably so many of them you shouldn't get the same one but you just might, give it a try.....

I would keep calling Microsft till someone can actually help you. There are probably so many of them you shouldn't get the same one but you just might, give it a try.....

I called back and spoke to another Microsoft agent. She was more sympathetic and told me that I could be helped but that I'd have to call a different 1-800 number. They were only there until 9pm so I'll have to try them tomorrow. She sounded confident that they would fix me up. I'll say a prayer tonight and give them a call in the morning.

I'm sure they will. Some of them dont know what they are doing, don't care or just wanna leave work because you called them when they are supposed to leave. Call them tomorrow ASAP to get this resolved. :cool:

you use the wrong version of xp when you installed it. install the right version be it home or pro. that's the only time that it won't accept the right key. I accidentally did this a couple of times

you use the wrong version of xp when you installed it. install the right version be it home or pro. that's the only time that it won't accept the right key. I accidentally did this a couple of times

I originally used the restore disc that came with my broken Systemax laptop. That version is XP Home.

During my last reformat, that disc would no longer load XP properly so I used the disc that came with my eMachines desktop PC. I just looked at System Properties and it says that I've got Windows XP Media Center Edition. Is that the reason that my product key that came with my Systemax (XP Home) won't work?

Another bit of information. This is actually the second time I've installed XP from the eMachines disc to the current laptop in question (Toshiba.) I got a virus right after that reformat and thats why I'm doing this again! I'm 99.999999% sure that I activated it then and it worked.

I called the 1-800 number that I was given last night. It was hard to navigate to talk with an actual person but I finally got there. He said that there was something currently going on with the activation system and that I should call the original number or wait and call back in 3-5 hours :very_angry: .

I'm not confident that I'm going to get this XP activated. Looks like I'm going to have to try to reformat yet again with the actual Systemax disc that didn't want to load properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom