Cant access shared folder on server

Hey lex i got another question for you
Im toying around with active directory before we implement in December.

Do i have to be wired to a switch in order to connect my PC to the Domain controller?? Im wireless right now cause im working out of a job trailer but i want to make sure i have everything setup right.

I keep getting an error saying that it cant find my domain when i go to add it

Technically no, I don't think there is anything that prevents you from authenticating with a DC or adding a computer to a domain while on wireless. The only thing would be you would need direct communication with a domain controller in that domain. Meaning you would either need to be on the same subnet or the routers in your network would have to pass on the traffic to the subnet that the domain controller resides on.

Thanks again Lex... I guess when adding a domain it is CaSe sensitive... Worked no problem...

IF i could pick your brain one last time..... (again i really appreciate your help)
Hows come when i give permission to a folder, its not changing on the user end...

I assigned "user" to "group A" .. I Denied access for "Group A" on "Folder 1" ... "User still has access to this folder... But if i Deny access for that computer to the folder then the deny works and then the whole computer doesnt have access to it.

When assigning permissions, if you are doing it through groups (which is recommended) a log off is required. It's required because active directory group memberships aren't updated until next login. You can force this by running gpupdate /force from a command prompt - but a log off will probably still be required.

In your example you are adding the user to that group (again, good practice), but in order for that group to take effect you will have to have that user log off. If you weren't using a group and directly saying Sally Thomas has access, she would have access.

Morning guys,

How do i go about disabling access and features for a domain user??
Not allowing them to map a drive from the server?
Block control panel?
And other features from the start menu?

Any way to password protect all of these?

I got one more question but ill leave it here for right now

THANKS

How do i go about disabling access and features for a domain user?
Block control panel?
And other features from the start menu?

Group policy is the answer to these questions.

If they don't have permissions to a folder on the network storage they cannot map a drive to it.

Block control panel?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/....10).aspx?wc=EARpHwhxAxouBBJyGAoCFQgJUwoFEA==

The password protection would just be the user credentials

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom