Cannot connect to many sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
Hi, this is a new computer and I'm having trouble connecting to many sites and it's not just Firefox, it's IE too so something is definetly wrong. Firefox gives me this error:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at westernunion.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? It's is stopping me from going to many sites that I normally go to and it couldn't be an internet problem since I could go to another website and it'll open up fine. I can go to my other computer which is on the same network and router and it'll open up the pages that I can't open here fine aswell.

So you can go on some websites but not others?
Sorry its hard to understand you.
If you cant get on anything that uses the internet try making sure its on the network.

Yes, I can probably go to about 75% fine but the other 25% it gives me that error and for IE it simply says it is an invalid page when it isn't. It's not the network, already checked everything looks normal.

Are you sure they are valid webpages?
Do all basic websites like google/yahoo/microsoft work?
If that doesnt work then try opera as a browser and see what it says.

I have a couple of theories. But need to ask a couple of questions too:

1/ what ISP are you using? (in particular are you using AOL?)
2/ how do you connect to the internet? (router, USB modem etc...)
3/ are you running any firewalls, spyware software etc...?
4/ can you go to www.hotmail.com?
5/ do you know of any other sites that don't work?

My reasons for asking:

1/ AOL (at least in the UK) operate with a modified/different protocol to everyone else and so your standard router will not handle modification/redirection of the http header unless you play around with your routers settings. I can give these settings if you need them

2/ self explanatory really... - also what OS are you using? what router? - some routers have built in SYN flood protection (in particular Belkin) - have you changed any settings in your browsers?

3/ might sound a bit extreme but... western union accounts are used in a lot of fraudulant scams on the internet and it is possible that your firewall/spyware software/whatever has blocked it. try turning it all off and seing if it works

4/ hotmail.com is actually login.pasport.com or something - will help determin if the problem is anything related to 1/

5/ to help determine any similarities between sites that are bein blocked

I'm using Sbc Yahoo DSL.
I use a router and modem
I am running Norton firewall but it usually tells me if they want me to block something or not
Yes, I can go to hotmail.com
Yes many. I can type some stuff in google and for a site that I usually go to, won't even open up on this comp.

go to your network properties. do you have IPv6 installed? if so unless you need it try uninstalling it. I'm not entirely sure why this would cause a problem but it did for me, so might be worth a try.

turn the firewall off and connect to the internet, I know it is not advised but it will help eliminate possible sources,

connect with the modem only, leave the router out of the equation but with the firewall on,

check your 'host file',

put '64.4.33.7' in the address bar instead of hotmail.com to determine if it is a DNServer problem,

run 'hi-jackthis' and 'spybot search & destroy'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom