Cannot boot from installation disk, suspect bios?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is almost impossible to write to the BIOS. You would have had to flash the BIOS in order for the hack to even be effective. The BIOS is only active for a few seconds and then it deactivates.

Can you access your BIOS right now from within Windows? No. So a hacker couldnt either.

As i stated, if you can boot to Windows and a Linux LiveCD then it is not a BIOS issue. If it is, then it is due to the BIOS getting corrupted from another factor that has nothing to do with a hacker at all.

The F8, or Advanced Boot Menu is a Windows specific option. Notice how it is the same on every PC no matter the make model or manufacturer? Not even the BIOS is universal for access like that. So that is a Specific Windows command. Plus why would it be a BIOS command if it allows you to get to Safe Mode of Windows?

No it doesnt qualify as the hacker destroying your PC. A fail attempt at a BIOS flash when it has nothing to do with a hacker is not anything other than a failed BIOS Flash. So it would be a corrupted BIOS for what ever reason that lead to a Flash Attempt which lead to the system getting bricked. Not a single aspect has anything to do with a hacker.

The chances of a BIOS flash failing today is very slim. I have flash my BIOS on this Mobo at least 8-10 times. The last time i had a failed BIOS Flash, 1998. I have messed with PC's the entire time. People are so paranoid over this simple procedure that it is almost as bad as saying you have to go to the Dentist.

Maybe flashing is not that bad. But consequences of a bad flash are pretty terminal, maybe makes people nervous. Also a complete erase and flash might be more risky.

Yes I never thought a bios was vulnerable. I have no idea of the technology involved, and I assumed since flashing was so inconvenient a hacker couldn't do it. You're more experienced at this then me, and tech people I've talked to seemed surprised or reluctant to believe my bios was hacked. But there are things you don't know too, right? I used to write code but I've never tried breaking into computers, I figure experienced illegal hackers could run circles around me.

I've read many comments on internet stating a virus can write in the bios. Of course I don't know those people who wrote those comments. But as a last resort I plan to download a utility to erase and flash the bios. That's some kind of code, who knows if hackers can access similar code and deliver it in a trojan horse? Or maybe they can't.

I haven't flashed or done anything to the bios of the bad computer.

I can't see any other explanation for the problem. Window install disks boot on other computers, but not on the bad one even though they USED to boot on the bad one. And linux install disk does still work on the bad one. The results seem to precise too be explained by a normal hardware fault, but could be easily explained by an alteration in bios code. Linux does everything different from wndows, and an alteration that effects windows might not effect linux.

Well, another sticky problem. Hopefully it won't take too much time or money to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom