Can you run SATA and IDE simultaneously?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The General said:
Actually, in my experience, software RAIDs have performed faster and caused less grief and problems than hardware RAIDs. Then again, a hardware RAID in Windows may introduce some problems.
from my experiences, hardware raid's are the most reliable. because the hardware would have to fail to break the RAID (if you don't touch it after you set it up)
and even then, you can often set the RAID back up using a different RAID controller, and not lose your data (I've done it before)

software is much more prone to failing than hardware. it is changed far more often than hardware.

apokalipse said:
from my experiences, hardware raid's are the most reliable. because the hardware would have to fail to break the RAID (if you don't touch it after you set it up)
and even then, you can often set the RAID back up using a different RAID controller, and not lose your data (I've done it before)

software is much more prone to failing than hardware. it is changed far more often than hardware.

Yes, recovering data and setting the RAID back up is the point of a RAID. Redundancy is pointless if we can't restore the RAID. Hardware always fails, it's just a matter of time. You could carry a software RAID controller around with you on a CD (for example: Knoppix) and it will never be changed and always work.

There's a Dell storage RAID at work, I think its 4 x 250Gb in RAID 5, and there's a software RAID in my house that's 4 x 250gb in RAID 5 running Debian.

Not only does the software RAID perform better, but I have never had it fail, whereas we've had to rebuild the Dell 3 times. This is in a 10 month time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom