can you duel boot from different HD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dauntae

Fully Optimized
Right now I have a 1.0TB drive as my main HD and a second 320 GB with just junk storage put on it right now, and wanted to try my first duel boot. But I never did one before, and kind of clueless on how to do it. But I also wanted to know if I could do a OS on each HD so I would not have any more Partitions? So if any one can give me some schooling on duel boot and if I can do it with a different HD for each OS I would greatly appreciate it. Thinking of trying the windows 7 Beta, and it does not require Vista to try either as was mentioned in another thread (at least not according to Microsoft website) But I don't really want to lose anything on the current install of my OS as of now, and don't want to have to reinstall it in August either when the Beta is over. so I'm hoping I can get this duel booting situation sorted and best of all I'm going for the 64 bit.

Thanks in advance
Dauntae

No problem with a dual boot of Win7. I am doing it with xp as well so no need for vista just do a clean install on your other hd. My asus board has a boot screen which alows me to choose which hd I wish to boot from. I press f8 when I turn on my computer to get to the boot options. If I do nothing it will automatically boot into my xp install.

That is great, Now I just have to get all the vista drivers but fortunately I have them already with all newer hardware. How do you like 7 so far, I'm doing the download right now. One question though, How does it ask what HD on the install DUH it does, just haveing a mindblank, been a long night at work and needing sleep. Can't wait to try the install tomorrow at this time LOL

Thanks
Dauntae

I like it. Almost all of my hardware worked with the default drives but I have been installing vista 64bit drivers for fun. When you so the install it will ask which drive you want to install it on. Just make sure you select the drive you want. Make sure and back up your important data just in case.

Not too much important stuff, Just put the new HD in a few weeks ago with fresh XP install but adding all the programs and reinstalling all the games is a PITA everything I want saved is on DVD from the last install, I'm just wanting to take full advantage of my 4 gigs of ram and DirectX10 that I could never use on XP pro 32 bit I do have to watch the drive letters though, I have 6 right now with multi dvd drives and card readers and 2 HD's but I haven't Botched up with the wrong letter yet LOL (I think I may have just jinxed myself) Thanks for the help. I just wish I had faster internet, DSL is kinda slow but much cheaper so it's a tradeoff I guess.

Thanks again
Dauntae

Well I'm writing this from windows 7 and WOW is this going to take a little getting used to, Still trying to figure out where everything is but it has been running pretty smoothly so far and most of the drivers where already installed well except for my tv card but that is old and no vista driver exists on it but it still works in XP. Now I have to decide what games to try to see how well the DirectX 10 goes and how 64 bit improves things.

Dauntae

No problem with a dual boot of Win7. I am doing it with xp as well so no need for vista just do a clean install on your other hd. My asus board has a boot screen which alows me to choose which hd I wish to boot from. I press f8 when I turn on my computer to get to the boot options. If I do nothing it will automatically boot into my xp install.

F8? well on the boards I have it automaticly goes to a boot option when multi boots are recognised, a 30 second choice option before booting to the last installed OS, F8 is for advanced boot options.. ie, system recovery, last known good config, safe mode etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom