Can a computer be part of a domain AND a workgroup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Can a computer be part of a domain AND a workgroup? (some one explain the # plz too!)

Hey...

Before I start...I want to ask about the difference between a Domain and a Workgroup....and how are they used?

The laptop I am using is part of a school network my mother works at...It was configured there.....and it is part of a domain...

Now, I have another username (for me) on the laptop...but apparently, it is also set as part of the domain... (when i right click in My Copmuter, and choose the Computer Name tab...it says that this computer is part of a domain (not a workgroup)

I also want to create a network connection at home between the laptop and the desktop...but shouldnt it be a Workgroup? (Can it be domain???) If it should be a workgroup, then how can I make it?? Can they co-exist? (workgroup and domain?)

At the time being, I want to connect them in ad-hoc mode...but later on in the near future, using a router (the laptop will be connected wirelessly)

Any help is much appreciated

thanx

ummmm, no and yes

if you're in a workgroup, you will not be able to access domain resources.

But if you're in a domain environment, i think you should be able to access workgroup resources as long as you have the correct rights. I haven't tested this tho

if a computer is joined to a domain and you cannot access the domain controller for authenication, then you must check workstation only at the login prompt and make sure the Log On To box is set to the Computer name.

edit: my buddy tells me that you can access workgroup resources while using a workstation only login

Didnt quite get that....
I want to access each one seperatly...I (or my mother) needs to access the domain at school and I (and perhaps my mother too on her username, if possible) want to access the workgroup at home...I cant access them both at the same time since the laptop will not be connected to both at the same time...

(btw...when my mother wants to login...(press ctrl+alt+del at startup) she enters her username and pass and then clicks on SMOC (the name of the school) to login...while when I want to login...I enter username and pass but I should click on the down arrow and change SMOC to "xxxxxxxx (this computer)" which is the coputer name....I dont know if that helps you or not...

and both me and my mother have adminstartive privilages...

(just for the record....I typed my last post before reading your last one....doesnt make much of a difference though becasue I still dont understand a thing.....Im a complete newbie in networking!!) :)

put the desktop in a workgroup and try to access the resource.

if i remember correctly, ppl tell me that they need to be the same. i've connected two different workgroups running on xp

thanx...the image is getting clearer...

then...the thing i want to do is for this laptop to be part of a workgroup (when it is plugged at home/in range of wireless router) and also be part of a domain when plugged in at school (smoc)

Is this possible??? All I want to be able to do at home is to share the files and the printer...and maybe play games on LAN....

Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom