Built my first dual core today!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One last thing..

Regardless of what Tyan says the 2885 and the 2895 DO NOT have dual core cpu support. The only way possible to get dualcore support (for the 2885 at least) is to contact tyan directly and have them email you the latest beta bios.. Which is ***FULL*** of bugs. Yes, i know they say DUALCORE ready on the box.. False advertisement..

So, my question is.. How could places like anandtech and tomshardware review dualcores without having a motherboard that would properly support the cpu?

Memory bandwidth kind of sucks honestly....buuut to point a few things out..

Windows DOES support dual cores and there are infact a lot of programs that do use it as well......games however do NOT use it, BUT, you can be gaming while encoding a DVD video and you'll be good to go.......try that on a single core system and you'll see a huge decrease in gaming performance while the dual core will pretty much stay at what it performed at the first time around....

So basically you have a multitasking monster right now, it's not so much of individual programs taking full advantage of it, as is the fact you can be rendering a high quality 3D scene while listening to winamp and encoding a DVD with no problems at all....but it's very common knowledge that gaming is actually worse with dual cores because they aren't meant to be gaming processors at all

EDIT:
So, my question is.. How could places like anandtech and tomshardware review dualcores without having a motherboard that would properly support the cpu?
BETA bioses because they are more special than you or I :D And yes a lot of times the crappy is buggy for them as well.

Nubius said:
Memory bandwidth kind of sucks honestly....buuut to point a few things out..

Windows DOES support dual cores and there are infact a lot of programs that do use it as well......games however do NOT use it, BUT, you can be gaming while encoding a DVD video and you'll be good to go.......try that on a single core system and you'll see a huge decrease in gaming performance while the dual core will pretty much stay at what it performed at the first time around....

So basically you have a multitasking monster right now, it's not so much of individual programs taking full advantage of it, as is the fact you can be rendering a high quality 3D scene while listening to winamp and encoding a DVD with no problems at all....but it's very common knowledge that gaming is actually worse with dual cores because they aren't meant to be gaming processors at all

EDIT: BETA bioses because they are more special than you or I :D And yes a lot of times the crappy is buggy for them as well.

The memory benchmark was low because i didnt have memory in both banks.. So numa support wasnt there, otherwise it wouldve given a 10,000mb/s reading.. I'll re-do the test tomorrow with ram in both banks and post it.

This has nothing to do with windows.. Windows will support as many cores as you can throw at it .. But the programs have to be written to support the cores. Meaning.. They need to have PROPER smp implementation.

My whole point was that you dont need anything special for dualcores to work properly.. Other than *PROPER* SMP support.

I don't see video games ever being coded around SMP, as the only time a video game is CPU intensive is when its preloading files. (Who could ever need more than 640k of ram?) What video games need is SLI support =p

btw, nubius i was checking out benchmarks on that dualgpu video card and i noticed that the x850 scored higher than that dual gpu card.. I'm starting to wonder if you still need multi-gpu support in order for it to work correctly.

edit:

btw, i got the beta bios from tyan.. Just have to tell them you already have dualcore and you're an oem builder and they'll send it to you.. But when i talked to them i was told that they only had a beta bios for the 2885 and that the 2895 currently had NO dualcore support at all. The 2895 is what anandtech used to review the dualcores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom