Boston Acoustics Ba7900

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevcamarors89

Beta member
I was wondering what everyone thought of these speakers. I was thinking of buying them and upgrading from a set of Creative 5.1 something or others (somewhat low end model). The only real question I have is about the fact that there is no digital decoder. What does this mean exactly? How will this affect sound? Will I need to purchase one of these as well? Thanks for any replies.

Garrett

Check this out: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1152227,00.asp
Final Thoughts
It's unfortunate that Boston doesn't more aggressively market its PC speakers—they're fine products that deserve to be heard. The BA7900 makes a very respectable showing here, but the market is a tough one in which to compete. And as much as we like the BA7900, we find ourselves in a case of better vs. best. For around a $190 street price, Creative's MegaWorks 550 THX is a better value, and gets you more amplification. It's not that the BA7900 isn't good, it's just that we think the MegaWorks 550 is better. And because the BA7900 is available only from a single source, you can't shop around for a better price. If you were to get the BA7900, you won't be disappointed, but we think you can get more speaker for less money.

Product: Boston Acoustics BA7900 5.1 Speakers

Pros: Very solid performance; a lot of speaker for the money

Cons: No digital input; no Dolby Digital/DTS decoder; still more expensive than the Creative MegaWorks 550 THX.

Price: $240 direct from Gateway

Score: 8 out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom