Bonding internet connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleanwater4all

Beta member
I'm familiar with load balancing.. but Is it possible to actually bond multiple DSL lines together? I hear of ways to bond using MLPPP but that requires support from an ISP. Is there a way to actually bond without support from my ISP, or use say a cable modem and a DSL line together for faster speed / diversity?

No, towards bonding without the ISP.
I beleive the ISP must do it out at the box along site the road.

You can pick up some routers that have dual WAN ports that can do QoS and load balancing and stuff.
Cisco/Linksys RV0xx series is a decent, fairly cheap dual WAN router.

While I am not familiar with MLPPP over DSL lines, I can say that in the world of Cisco or Juniper networking, for an MLPPP bundle with 2 T1's in it there must be obviously 2 physical T1 circuits, as well as a single logical interface on the device at the customer premise, and on the provider side. Essentially, load balancing would be the same thing, logical traffic sharing 2 physical paths.

Dragon,

I always had problems with the Linksys RV0xx to load balance internet connections for our cloud computing customers so we focused on getting a bonding technology to work.. we were so successful we now actually offer a bonded internet service called vUnity.

Load balancing is nice and all, I would recommend the DD-WRT stuff because it's open source but vUnity's is fault tolerant and provides one aggregated internet connection.

If you have any questions about our bonding, just ask.. or google vUnity.

-Brian

Brian J. Brandon
CCNP | MCSE:Security | MCITP:EA
1-310-734-8309 Ext. 1
Http://www.vUnity.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom