BLOPS3 and Fallout 4 info

PP Mguire

Build Guru
So I didn't have much time to do a lot of testing but I should be able to do some more extensive testing this weekend. So far what I can see is this:

Fallout 4 is largely not that demanding. A 1080p high settings experience should be easily doable with an i3/i5 (FX6300/FX8***) system with a card around a 970/380. It uses a more modified version of the Creation Engine found initially in Skyrim and has the same hiccups from Skyrim. Dual card support is almost non-existent at release, and seems to largely rely on a single to 2 cores to run. Due to this it seems easy to say a mid-mid/high end system should easily accommodate all high to max settings at 1080p. 4k is a different story, and a single Titan X with all bells and whistles kind of struggles but I expect this to be ironed out with patches like Skyrim. Another oddity is, outdoors seems to run smoother than in vaults or close quarters areas (like the start home). The lower texture resolution and subpar lighting seems to be the cause of this which is understandable since Creation was made for last gen consoles anyways. It looks decent, but shouldn't be hard for folks to run. I do suggest having at least 4 threads (FX43** or i3) though as other core activity is there ever so slightly on 12 threads, so I expect this to rise on 4 threads.

BLOPS 3 as we know is a different story. The RAM/VRAM delima seems to not be an issue as memory leak, but more of the engine trying to make RAM usage linear. RAM usage for me peaked at 8GB where VRAM peaked at 9GB for 4k maxed. It was butter smooth and lowest FPS for me was 65, but this game is utilizing both my cards fully. (Go COD??) The game also doesn't have too many vastly noticeable low res textures compared to say Fallout 4, which is another oddity since the engine seems rehashed and updated.....which we expected. The lighting is still subpar though, but it's COD.

I'm going to say my initial requirement is this, have 8GB of system RAM for a 4GB or lower graphics card but I suggest having 12GB for this game due to the nature of how the game is scaling usage. I also suggest having at least an i5 or FX63** (preferably FX83**) due to a vastly superior core usage compared to Fallout. A 970/380 and an i5 should easily play this game and if you have troubles maintaining a smooth 60fps then experiment with turning down some settings. I'm only vague on this as I haven't been able to pinpoint the RAM usage, but I'm not going to hop on the bash bandwagon saying it's a memory leak because usage is consistent. I believe this to be true simply due to the nature of the consoles. Some hate lies on coding, which could be sloppy in the port but to be safe I stick to my previous allegations on requirements.

Back
Top Bottom