BIOS Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, like I said, you can break anything, but in terms of what you should expect to do regularly, and what you should expect to go wrong, I'd say that Linux and OSX are at the top of the list for least expected down-time.

Umm all i was trying to do was get my dual monitors working. Something that i can do easily within Windows. With like 3 clicks. Yet with Linux i have been able to crash 3 different distrobutions without really trying just to get my 2nd monitor to activate and work along side of my first monitor. To me setting up dual monitors is a function i expect to do regularly. So i shouldnt expect Linux to crash. So even a simple task such as that can cause it to go wrong.

I'm not familiar with linux, and maybe you aren't either?

could just be that you're doing something wrong.

Or, more likely, you are using incompatible hardware. This is sometimes hard to figure out, as it depends on your card, motherboard, and OS.

I had a problem with this at my last company. My CPU had an onboard and installed graphics card. both supported only 1 monitor, so in total I had 2 monitor support... or so I thought.

After literally about a week of drivers, updates, and whining, we discovered that the motherboard on my machine was "special" in that it would automatically disable it's native support if there was a graphics card installed. So even though Windows swore it was using the graphics card, nothing happened, because it was on a lower level than windows could detect.

No i got it working after several tries. My hardware was also supported. As Linux is made for older hardware and i am running, older hardware. A Dimension 8400 is not that new. The Audigy 2ZS sound card should have Linux drivers by now. The only thing that was newer was the 8600GT Video Card i am running. But even when i ran my 6800 it still gave me issues.

So no it wasnt lack of hardware support. No it wasnt something i was doing wrong, as I was following the very specific directions of several Linux users and the Ubuntu people from their own site.

I may have not been the most knowledgeable about Linux, but to follow directions line for line and word for word and still have issues, from the people who helped develop it, tells me very clearly that it was not something on my end.

Considering now i can install Ubuntu or Kubuntu and get it working with little effort since i figured it out on my own, yeah. It most definitely wasnt just something that I did. It was a combination of the ways things had to be done in Linux. As i have to go a very specific route to update to a set of drivers which, shockingly, Linux doesnt fully support. I had to basically hack them onto my machine to get it working right.

Sorry but it wasnt me. I have since been able to help others, even on this forum, get multi monitor stuff setup with the tricks i learned.

I don't think flashing your BIOS or pulling the CMOS battery is going to do anything for you.
the BIOS cannot get a Virus.. it would have to have it flashed into it and thats extremely unlikely.
sound like a possible nuke and pave situation.

nuke and pave situation.

LOL, that's awesome. Of course I should have expected that flavor of idiom based on your avatar.

"By the way, we're not using the term 'search and destroy' anymore, it sounds too aggressive, now we are using 'sweep and clear', okay people? 'sweep and clear', got that?"

~Full Metal Jacket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom