BIOS Virus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrgh

Beta member
I am not sure what is wrong with my computer. For a while, network traffic has been slow. I called my ISP, they told said it was 'weird'. Cloned MAC address or spoofing or something like that. I am not very tech savvy, however, I think (or hope) I can fix this problem on my own (that is, with advice, and not dolla bills).

Symptoms: Getting worse every day.

Computer BOOTS slow. This is why I think it is a BIOS virus, although, keep in mind, I have no idea what I am talking about. I do know that it takes 15 times longer to get to the Windows load screen.

Windows is slow. Both installs, 7 and XP 32 bit.

Internet connection is crippled, it is unusable.

Virus scan says everything is A-OK but refuses to scan certain sections of the disk. Offhand ( I am at work), the Cat2 folder, I think, in the Windows/System32 folder.

Randomly shuts down without warning. Just, turns off, like someone has unplugged it. Might be hardware, but doubtful, (is it possible for a virus to shut down your computer without the proper wait?) this started happening at the EXACT same time the Internet slowed, Startup hung and Video games stopped working.

Oh yeah, Video games don't run well anymore. They are pretty much unplayable. It is like my video card stopped working.

Windows 7 disk will not repair bootsector. Will not reinstall. An error message comes up when I try to run the repair workstation tool on startup.

No restore point. Restore point is active, but there is no record of there being one. I know for a fact I have set many, and used them before. It has been erased.

XP is having trouble installing. I have already cleared one hard disk, for installation, and I am getting hung up on re-install, computer turns off (not when it is suppose to either) and it is taking WAY WAY WAY too long to install.

There are more than likely scores of other anomalies. Sound fails to work sometimes. Comp hangs on startup and in Windows. Etc.

Oh, and false positives! System files (.sys), Music ? (how is that possible?) and others...

I have scanned with Avast. AVG. Malaware Bytes. A2.

Have had a few viruses before. Nothing this bad. Also, no idea where it came from, although my friend has something similar wrong with his rig, and he hasn't been able to figure it out. We use Hamachi to play video games regularly over TCP / IP. MSN. Firefox 2 (or 3). Torrent sometimes. No .exe's though. Battlestar Gallatica and older independent movies mostly.

Dunno what information will prove useful. But that is pretty much my computers contact with the outside world, aside from streaming video and the rare e-mail (hotmail, and I am safe, I assure you).

Any help would give you instant Karma, I am certain.

And be greatly appreciated.

You probably mean "boot sector virus". I have honestly never heard of a "bios virus" and I wouldn't know how to put one there to begin with.

Anyways, go to your computer's manufacturer and go to the "downloads and drivers" section and see if you can find some BIOS updates. These are little executable files which you double-click on and they warn you that they will flash the BIOS, and then reboot. Now when you boot up you will see the black screen and the little loading bar and below that you should see something like "BIOS ver A07" or something like that. Bingo, BIOS cleared.

If you want to try to totally clear your HDD, use Killdisk or something similar that writes 0's to the entire drive. Then do a full format in XP setup, or with a GParted disc.

Can try testing your memory with Memtest86+ as well (run it for at least 4 hours...overnight is preferable).

As of right now the Windows 7 DVD doesnt have the repair functions working properly. It is a Beta. So that part is not fully functional. I have tried it myself and it didnt work. I ended up using a Vista DVD to repair my Win7 boot.

I would go thru Osiris's guide for sure.

I'd make a guide, and it would be very quick.

"Go get a firearm of your choice. Twelve gauge shotguns are the most effective for this task. Obliterate your errant machine and get a Mac or a Linux. They don't break."

Though I suppose stupid people are capable of breaking anything. NOT implying that anyone here is stupid. Just sayin. I've seen some really stupid things in my days in support.

To say Mac and Linux doesnt break is no where near right. I have been able to break many installs of Ubuntu trying to get multi monitor support. I broke BSD just this past weekend trying to get my dual monitors working. So it isnt that hard at all to break Linux.

As for Mac's. Just ask Saxon. He will tell you how easily it is to break OS X.

lol, like I said, you can break anything, but in terms of what you should expect to do regularly, and what you should expect to go wrong, I'd say that Linux and OSX are at the top of the list for least expected down-time.

We had a Cisco rep on contract over at the Public Schools system and during a presentation, he mentioned that we were on a MS Server 2003 environment, and that's why there are 50 techs district wide. If we were on OSX universally (the school system has about 10% Macs) then there'd be only 20 of us there. If we were running Linux boxes, then there'd only be 2 of us. And we'd be bored.

In my experience, so long as you don't try to make huge changes, OSX rarely gives you any trouble. Windows, on the other hand, will break all on it's own.

Sorry to hijack the thread, what happened to the OP?

Maybe that virus shut him down all the way!

Ah, I am still at work. I will take a look at the rig tonight, having company for dinner, so...

From what I have read, sounds like a lovely starter kit worm like ProRat or Torpig or Conficker.

I'll see what I can do, but I more than likely obtained it via msn, playing lan games or downloading a patch for a program/game.

The length and breadth of the damage points in that direction. I suppose the diagnosis is key to fixing the problem and preventing further damage or re-infection.

Pull the battery.
Flash the BIOS
Then try a re-install.

Anything else?

In my experience, so long as you don't try to make huge changes, OSX rarely gives you any trouble. Windows, on the other hand, will break all on it's own.
!

An OSX update broke the wifi on my friends power book and Apple had removed the files needed to fix it from there site..

Back on topic:

You could go through Osiris' guide like Mak suggested which might allow you to take care of the problem without reformatting.

Osiris Spyware Guide

If you do go ahead and reformat I would reformat both partitions before reinstalling to avoid reinfecting your new installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom