Better Degree to have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eremetic

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I was wondering which degree is better to have? Management Information Systems or Computer Science? I am not really wanting a progamming job, sitting their typeing code all day prolly would not be my thing. I am wanting something like Systems Analyst, Computer/IT Analyst, Database Admin., Network Engineer, Business Analyst, etc.

Also I was wondering what typs of jobs a MIS major actually gets, and whats the average starting salaries? My local university's Computer Science program as 2 options to go into, Information Technology option and Software and Applications option. If I went MIS I would prolly go ahead and try and get my MBA Focusing on MIS. However what types of jobs are open to a MBA, besides teaching? My local university has a program for Business grads that if you take business classes as electives you can get your BS/Masters in 5 years total.

Well I want to thank everyone for taking their time upon reading my post, sorry if I sound confusing, just didn't know which degree would be the best route for the job market? Thanks again....

As far as the job market is concerned, either degree will give you the same amount of opportunities. Your degree doesn't lock you into any specific career.

Hmm, Yeah I know. I was just curious which degree had better advancement/salary ranges? At Tennessee Tech University, their Computer Science program you can concentrate in Information Systems, Information Technology, Software and Applications. Everyone I have talked to tells me MIS is the better way to go, because it gives you business/management experience so you tend to move up the ladder faster with a MIS degree.

What kind of jobs will be offered to MIS grads and average starting salaries, and same for Computer Science grads.

The Bottom Line is, for any Computer job related question is this.

Real world experience is far more valuable than any BA or MD or certificate..
But, real world experience + Degrees + Many Certificates is Unbeatable...

Also, never and I mean never think your done with your education. Once you stop learning or going back for higher certificates/Degrees you screw yourself....

which degree had better advancement/salary ranges?
Though your university may show salary ranges by degree, that is typically a useless statistic. Degrees don't have salary ranges, but career paths do. You could find employment in any of the career paths you listed in your original post with either degree. Your degree will only provide you with a broad foundation for building your career upon, not lock you in to a specific field.

it gives you business/management experience so you tend to move up the ladder faster with a MIS degree.
Once you obtain a job, moving up the ladder has nothing to do with your college major. It has everything to do with your demonstrated performance.

What kind of jobs will be offered to MIS grads
Typically, none. Employers won't come after you, you'll be pursuing them. Think of it this way. When you graduate, there will be thousands of other students across the nation graduating with the same degree. What will set you apart? And why would an employer want to hire you fresh out of school instead of someone with one or more years of experience? A job will not be offered just because you are graduating. A job will be offered because you pursued it, and convinced the employer that you are worth his investment. So, you are in the driver's seat. You get to decide what jobs to pursue.

Yeah, I just didn't know if having a BS in Computer Science would help me anymore than having a BS in Management Information Systems (MIS)? Because Tennessee Tech University (TTU) offers a couple different options you can go into with a Computer Science major. However if I went CS I would prolly not pursue a Masters, but if I went MIS I would prolly just go ahead and get my masters since TTU offers a program to get your Masters in 5 years.

So with that being said which is better, MBA in Business Management Focusing on MIS w/ a BS in MIS, or a BS in Computer Science Focusing on prolly Information Technology. The graduate program for CS @ TTU only Focuses on Internet-Based Computing.
Reasons I am asking these questions is because some people have recommended me go both ways, saying that companies would rather you have a CS over a MIS anyday and vice versa.

Thanks for the replies so far, does anyone else have any opinions about my questions?

However if I went CS I would prolly not pursue a Masters, but if I went MIS I would prolly just go ahead and get my masters since TTU offers a program to get your Masters in 5 years.
I would recommend that you pursue a masters degree regardless of your undergraduate major.

So with that being said which is better, MBA in Business Management Focusing on MIS w/ a BS in MIS, or a BS in Computer Science Focusing on prolly Information Technology.
One degree is not necessarily better than the other. It really depends on where your interest truely lies. An MIS degree is largely a business degree, while computer science is more difficult and is a technical degree. Pursue the education that will be more beneficial to the career of your choice.

Reasons I am asking these questions is because some people have recommended me go both ways, saying that companies would rather you have a CS over a MIS anyday and vice versa.
The bottom line is that companies want competent employees who will add value to the company -- regardless of degree. It sounds like you're getting caught up in typical college student career discussions and arguments about which degree is better. The CS degree is more challenging and technical, while students with business degrees are a dime-a-dozen. However, what will land you a job are your abilities, experience, and how well you can sell yourself.

Yeah, Just didn't know if most employers preferred one type of degree over the other. If I went Computer Science then I would prolly pursue a Master's but don't seem like TTU's CS Graduate program is the best in the world. I do know they have a very good business school, and MBA program. People just said business companies prefer their employes to have business experience and not just all IT/Programming capabilites, because those people usually don't have management experience.

Can you do the same jobs with both degree's? I have been looking around the website and on careerbuilder.com and most people that deal with Software Engineering prefer a Computer Science degree or related field. I am unsure how related MIS and CS is though... Can someone explain what types of jobs people with MIS and CS degrees usually get, even if their the same. I am just curious as to what all types of jobs that are out there. Also can someone post the normal salary ranges for the job titles you can land with either a MIS or CS degree? Also what types of jobs and normal salaries does a graduate get with a MBA, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom