best route for career advancement??

Status
Not open for further replies.

IT_N8

In Runtime
I have a bachelor's in Computer information systems and after talking with some of my friends and co-workers, I've determined an MBA doesn't seem to be worth the money or time spent. I am interested in getting a certification but am unsure what the most beneficial one would be. I know i don't want to do programming, and I work with MS SQL Server on a basic level, daily. I think computer forensics would be a very interesting job, but am unsure of what the cert would be called and how demanding the job market would be. So if i'm going to spend the time and money i want to make sure that its not so basic that there are numerous applicants to choose from, but also not so specialized that finding a job in my city (200,000) would be hard to find. Any opinions or advice offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nate

Sort of a related topic except mine starts from scratch.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a sophomore in high-school looking to be an IT when the time comes that I want/need a job. I was wondering what would be the proper way to go about reaching this goal. I would like to get as much as info as possible such as colleges, degrees, courses, certifications, obtainable knowledge, words of wisdom, Confucius sayings, and or software. Links would be great as well, and if anyone knows of anything worth looking into in Southern New Jersey let me know. Anything I get would be well appreciated.

I have an acquaintance with whom I am currently taking a Web Design class with, who will be graduating this year and heading off to Rowan University in search of a degree in Comp Sci. Is this a good path to follow?

That is all.
Thank you and Good Day.

It really depends on what you want to do in the IT field. Need more info on what you like, how much you're expecting to be paid, and what you're willing to do while in school.

First off, when I think of an IT I think of someone who works for some company and just maintains and fixes the computers and stuff. So when you say what I want to do in the IT field I am kind of lost. If you were able to clarify on what you mean, I would be able to choose from the options. Also I don't think I am at the point where I am be picky with my salaries, but I will say that I am very determined and very willing to do what it takes to become an IT.

Oh okay...sorry for the confusion. When I see IT anything computer related comes to mind pretty much.

BUT still there is some variety in what you say. Do you want to repair computers, manage networks, etc?

Computer repair/support is probably the lowest job in the IT field (least training, least pay)..and network administrators is probably the highest

When you say network administrators would I primarily be working with my employer's internet?

That too.

A company's network may consist of a single building with a single server, or it could be world-wide and consist of literally thousands of servers and various data centers. Or anything in between those two.

Network administration is a good field, and it has plenty of room to specialize. You could take a security slant (what I was planning on doing up until the economy wiped everything out), or become a network engineer and design networks for people.

A branch off of NetAdmin is database administrator. They control, maintain, and update one or more databases for a company or organization. It may sound mundane, but I have seen what happens to a corporation when they lose a main database and it ain't pretty.

You can also look into the various certifications and see if any of them spark a fire for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom