"Best" PDA for home network/media integration...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marshall5

Baseband Member
Well, I've came very close multiple times to buying a new HP Hx4705 PDA, but I've managed to keep holding off as so many new devices keep hitting the market. I'd really appreciate help on this topic...

To start, high screen resolution is what I want, which the HP has. I'm not too familiar with the resolution vs. performance of others currently available, but the HP seems to be one of the better when viewing those two aspects, from what I've heard.

With that being said, let me explain what I'm really looking to get from a new PDA, and what it will be used for. It will mainly be used for home network integration, and I will be using a CF>PCMCIA adapter to use with my Belkin Pre-N card and router to connect to the home network. What I would like to do, is use my USB 40gb portable h-drive as the storage drive when connected to the PDA, and use the PDA to sync new music from my music folder on the home network when I'm in my car nearby, as well as sync from a buddies music folder who lives nearby (we both currently have our music folders setup to share/sync wirelessly from each other on laptops). I realize this could be done with about any PDA w/ proper connection ports, but this is just to explain one of the uses.

The second and most important thing which I have been thinking about is web browsing ability/simplicity. I was under the assumption that all PDA's format a webpage so it is compressed and viewed differently than it could be on a laptop per say (I.E., less page quality/info displayed, etc. etc.), then I saw an article in a magazine about a new wireless web browser (similar to a PDA in looks and size, but I can't remember the manufacturer or model), which allows viewing of a web page in its standard format (forgot what the techical name for this type of HTTP script view is) which is the full size page view, and you zoom in or out and scroll around the page to view completely. Basically just like how Acrobat reader enables you to view pages. So I'm wondering, is this ability a limitation of the actual device itself (in this case the HP pda), or simply the operating system/browser which is installed?

So again leading to my biggest concern...are there ways of allowing PDA's to browse the web in this full-size/quality mode, or will I need to purchase that specific PDA-type viewer to accomplish this?

And my last question (so sorry for this huge thread!), what all exactly is NOT available when viewing in this "compacted browsing" mode that common PDA's and cellphones use? Can I still stream media and download video as usual from sites, or is it mainly a pages display that's altered?

Thanks for ANY help on these topics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom