beige G3

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
I just got a free beige G3 from a friend of mine. I haven't booted it up yet, so i dont exactly know which OS is on it and what the exact specs are. But before i get bogged down in that, are there any ideas of what use i can put it too?

wow one day and no responses. is anybody out there?
BTW its missing its CD drive, but this model is IDE so can i just plug in any CD drive i have laying around?

well i got in home today. i booted her up. its 266mhz with 32mb ram and a 4gig hd. the floppy drives use some proprietary connector i have never seen. if i really wanted a floppy drive i would simply find the pins and make my own connector, but a can do with out. It booted OS8.1 and thought the year was 1952 lol. anyways according to lowendmac they take standard sd ram so i will pop in some sticks i have laying around. It also has a nice guide to OCing the machine and i see no harm in taking this puppy up to 300 or 400mhz.

I just upgraded the ram to 96 megs and it flies! i also put in a cdrom drive, im about to test it. the major problem it that when the original was removed they took the bay with it so i have no way of locking down the cd drive. any ideas?

lol are you serious? well the cd driver works. thats a relief. i tried using it with t he front cover but the tray kept hitting it so i removed it for now. it technically works its just not going with the apple style lol.

I updated to oS9 today and increased the ram to 160 megs, it runs a little slower but its fast enough. i wish it didn't have the half height ram deal because if it could take full height then i would have maxed it out by now.

Maybe you could put Debian on it. :) I wonder if it'd work correctly. If so the things you could do would be pretty diverse, especially if you got it up to 400mhz. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom