ATI CARDS: Crysis 1.1 vs 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's also the fact that people like having a faster system when playing games, because they don't like the game being slow.

and im one of them.

ooo those look good for when my 2nd 8800gtx is mine!

ur Nvidia now? Tonight, we r rivals! ;P

But then, actual image quality doesn't really improve beyond about 4X AA

that's not true, u can see a differ when it goes higher. I've seen demo screenshots of 24x custom AA from AMD long before R600. The screens were comparing a chapel building in some game *dont remember* with no AA, 2x AA, 4x AA, 16x AA, n 24x AA - 24x AA screenshot looked amazing!!

that's not true, u can see a differ when it goes higher. I've seen demo screenshots of 24x custom AA from AMD long before R600. The screens were comparing a chapel building in some game *dont remember* with no AA, 2x AA, 4x AA, 16x AA, n 24x AA - 24x AA screenshot looked amazing!!
I think the biggest quality differences, will be because of the different methods of anti-aliasing, rather than the actual level.

All anti-aliasing does, is try to remove jagged edges, by averaging pixel colour values from pixels around it, for pixels that lie on an edge of an object.

Beyond about 4X AA, what'll start to happen often is it will 'cut in' to objects in the foreground. Which is especially bad for thin or wire objects, which can sometimes be blurred too much.

conventional anti-aliasing also doesn't usually work too well when there are textures used for fences, and leaves and stuff, which are actually made of partially transparent textures.

I think the biggest quality differences, will be because of the different methods of anti-aliasing, rather than the actual level.

All anti-aliasing does, is try to remove jagged edges, by averaging pixel colour values from pixels around it, for pixels that lie on an edge of an object.

Beyond about 4X AA, what'll start to happen often is it will 'cut in' to objects in the foreground. Which is especially bad for thin or wire objects, which can sometimes be blurred too much.

conventional anti-aliasing also doesn't usually work too well when there are textures used for fences, and leaves and stuff, which are actually made of partially transparent textures.

ill have to try it once i get an HD 3870 x2 BF 2142 or something.

So far the best setting I've found is the 4x narrow-tent setting in the CCC. This gives 6x AA effective and looks quite good with virtually no performance hit.

Standard AA (box) doesn't look as good, while both wide-tent and edge-detect seem to make things blurry.

The best setting is largely dependent on the game...but 4x narrowtent seems great for CoD4, Shadowgrounds, Quake 4, CS:S....and I'm really waiting for UT3 to come out with a newer patch so I can use it with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom