Associates Degree In "Networking Technology"

There's always a chance, no matter what. That being said, you'd be better off with a Bachelor's. If that's not practical for you right now, get your Associates and take whatever opportunities you can find. A Bachelor's is ideal but an Associate's is better than no degree. Just remember that experience is key. The market is very competitive these days, and even entry level positions will often ask for experience - internships, volunteer work, and work-study are great ways to get some experience under your belt.

Making contacts and connections are also important. When I was in community college, a lot of my IT/CS instructors were also working in the industry and a couple of them passed along job opportunities to students all the time - even a few of my classmates would let people know when their employers had openings. That's how I got my internship without having any formal IT work experience. I would say that, in a 2 year community college, the connections are just as important as the degree.

Agreed, try to get a bachelors if possible. If that's not an option then i would try to get a few certifications and/or experience while still in school.

You don't have to have a degree in IT to get an IT job. i'm a network administrator and my bachelors is in Human Resources.

Agreed, try to get a bachelors if possible. If that's not an option then i would try to get a few certifications and/or experience while still in school.

You don't have to have a degree in IT to get an IT job. i'm a network administrator and my bachelors is in Human Resources.
How'd get a job as a Network Administrator?

There is no one step that will get your an Admin position, it's a compilation of individual steps that lead to an Admin opportunity. You can't just say X item got someone a position. For me I've had 5+ years experience doing strictly IT work (2 years prior to that doing IT work for a company but that wasn't my title), I have a bachelors, I have a half dozen certifications, I work hard and I'm always trying to better myself and my situation. Out of those can you pick one thing that landed me this job? Nope, it's just putting yourself in the right situations and then having an opportunity come available for me.

You cannot control when an opportunity will arise for you in your career - but what you can control is ensuring that when that time comes, you have put yourself in a position career-wise to take that opportunity on.

Back
Top Bottom