Artificial intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShoobieRat hit it on the head. You have to have a true definition of AI. As far as the human brain not as powerful as a computer, thats nonsense. It's just different. The human brain has an insane amount of data storage and is unmatched when it comes to parallel computing. Just think about how much the brain has to attend to. Visual data, higher than CD quality sound, motor function, breathing, reasoning, emotional data floods, AND think about how much space it uses to save memories! Also, a computer usually has one thing to worry about. Computational data. The only person who could come close to this would probably be a idiot savant, and even then he still has sensory overload to worry on, memory, breathing, motor function, etc. So, the human brain is in all probabilities faster and has larger memory storage. At the end of the day, however, its hard to say the amount because there is no real way to measure this. Here is some info to explain how the idea works:

We can only estimate the processing power of the average human brain as there is no way to measure it quantitatively as of yet. If the theory of taking nerve volume to be proportional to processing power is true we then, may have a correct estimate of the human brain's processing power.

It is fortunate that we understand the neural assemblies is the retina of the vertebrate eye quite well (structurally and functionally) because it helps to give us a idea of the human brain's capability.

The retina is a nerve tissue in the back of the eyeball which detects lights and sends images to the brain. A human retina has a size of about a centimeter square is half a millimeter thick and is made up of 100 million neurons. Scientists say that the retina sends to the brain, particular patches of images indicating light intensity differences which are transported via the optic nerve, a million-fiber cable which reaches deep into the brain.

Overall, the retina seems to process about ten one-million-point images per second.

Because the 1,500 cubic centimeter human brain is about 100,000 times as large as the retina, by simple calculation, we can estimate the processing power of a average brain to be about 100 million MIPS (Million computer Instructions Per Second ). In case you're wondering how much speed that is, let us give you an idea.

Just think about how many calculations and judgements the mind has to make in just walking, this is why robots are slowly evolving. The world is more complex than a operating system.

killians45 said:
100 million MIPS (Million computer Instructions Per Second ). In case you're wondering how much speed that is, let us give you an idea.

Thats a lot :eek:

But I still want to see what example they were going to give.

killians45 said:
You have to have a true definition of AI.

Flanker said:
Definition of Artificial Intelligence; Successful Artificial Intelligence is when you're sitting behind an opaque curtain and you're talking to someone/something on the other side. You're having a conversation with them, and you cannot guess whether it is a Natural Intelligence, or Artificial Intelligence.

^^ Those aeren't my words. They're the words of AI scientists.

killians45 is right in most ways, yes the brain is un paralled in most ways, but then again, we are talkin ai not necessarily robots, so there you shoot motor related data out, no emotions, no breathing, memory yes, but not necessaily all kinds, it is human to remember everything, even the unnecessary, but ai would just remove what it decides as not required for its (dedicated) function, the idea is for a "program" to improvise by itself. i hope i am makin sense!

Flanker said:
^^ Those aeren't my words. They're the words of AI scientists.
I know, but you brought it up. There's basically two schools of thought in AI. Those who strive to beat the Turing test, and those who look beyond it. Many think that if a machine can pass the Turing test, then it is sufficient enough to consider it intelligent. Meanwhile, many others state the simple fact that you could put many beings considered "intelligent" into the test and have them fail, or that the act of conversation does not fully encompass what it means to be intelligent.

I'm not going to go into length on AI, but I will say this: trying to calculate the power/speed of the human brain by associating it to current technology, is a bit jaded. We can associate to current silicon chips, etc, by reference, but the results are just wishful thinking. And the human brain stores memory more like holographic memory rather than sequential memory.

i_learn, reread my post. I'm saying the human brain is amazing in parallel thought. Also, I'm comparing the idea of how much the human brain has to do as far as information processing compared to just number crunching. In other words, its very hard to compare the two, but the human brain is NOT as slow as you may think. It just has so many other things to process as well. Monitor breathing, walking, muscle control, balance, speech recogonition... hell, just understanding the language spoken to you and amazing audio processing, visual stimulation, emotional data, body regulating, and all the things that go with it. Think about all that entails seeing a stop sign. Its not just seeing stop. Its recognizing the shape and color of the sign and association with warning. Its also calculating distance, reaction times, muscle control, plus background monitoring. Otherwise, how else would you have such fast reaction times to that loud horn that you know is just a few feet away and about to hit you. All this adds up AND its in real time.

If you want to talk about brain-"power" based on what the brain does, you really can't think of it as a single object. Like, a single computer. The brain is divided into many sections that do various things. It is more accurate to think of the brain as actually a collection of brains, or, in computer terms, a network of computers.

When you say that the brain must be fast because it has to process vision, speech, balance, etc, etc, all at once...well, actually, it doesn't. It is highly possible (and probable) for one part of the brain to have no clue what the other part is doing. Your speech recognition "centers" of the brain are not tied to your dexterity. This is one reason why your brain actually fights with itself all the time. (If you want a nice example, try this: http://www.njagyouth.org/colortest.htm )

I suppose in the end you could say that the true power of the brain comes not in what it can do, but in how well it can handle conflicts within its own structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom