Apple Has Squandered The Gift That Was Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Apple Has Squandered The Gift That Was Vista

MacWorld has an interesting editorial posted today that talks about Apple's inability to capitalize on the negative Vista press. Why is that? Apple certainly spends enough money on ads claiming Vista is so terrible, so why has their market share remained under 7.5% in the U.S. and almost zilch overseas? MacWorld has some ideas that might help Apple.

While it's true that Apple has significantly grown its share of the desktop operating system market since the release of Windows Vista in November of 2006, the company's market share remains below 10 percent, and it actually dropped in the first quarter of 2009, according to Gartner's Worldwide PC Shipment report.

1) no body wants to pay for a desktop environment that is little better than fluxbox with object dock tacked on the side.
2) no one wants to pay £700 for a computer.
3) People would like to try OSX but because it wont run on normal hardware they can't justify the price tag on what is unknown
4) They are marketed as the artist machine not every one wants to edit picture or music some people really just want access to the internet.
5) The people who would adopt a unix based operating system are put off by how propritory and locked down the OS is.
6) most people who use a computer just want the software to work with the hardware they have bought and 3 years down the line don't want a update to kill off the wireless card because they have the 2006 model and apple won't test the update on older hardware because it's not cost effective.
7) Most people like to be able to easily find a printer that will "just work" with there computer and not have to find one that has support for OSX 10.5.7.3.8 instead of just OSX.
8) People don't want to spend silly amounts of money on a computer that's about as powerful as a kitten that has muscular distrophy only to feel embarrassed a year down the line when a newer version with a 3% glossier screen comes out.
9) People don't trust computers that don't fit into the box with a screen attached, it just dosent look right.
10) The put off the older market, apple market themselves at the ipod generation an not the people who would be able to afford the price tag show me one student who can buy a mac and i will show you a drain on mummy an daddy's credit card and the statement to prove it.

Put simply apple if they want to grow and expand there market share they have a lot to changer it was a great idea to move over to intel processors but the fluffed it when the flat out refused to support hard ware other than there own.

I wouldn't mind tri-booting with OSX.

But considering I'd have to buy an actual Mac suddenly presents a sheer lack of interest, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom