AOL Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computerblues

Solid State Member
I own a Toshiba laptop with a faulty CD-ROM. .It won't read or write. The OS is Windows XP. I need to install AOL and this is what I figured out and did but to no avail.
Since my CD-ROM doesn't work I thought that by copying the AOL installation program from the CD to a jump drive I would be able to run the AOL set up.
The AOL installation program is over 400 Mb and my jump drive holds 128 Mb so this is what I did. I created a folder named AOL in my C drive, then I copied to my jump drive some of the AOl folders on the CD and then from my jump drive to the AOL folder in C. I did it several times until I was able to save all the installation folders from the AOL CD to jump drive to C's AOL folder.
So far so good. All the installation folders are now on C, but when I click on the AOL set up icon or go to run and then type in set up, nothing happens.
Did I do something wrong? or what I figured out is not viable?.
Any suggestion(s) will be very much welcomed.
Thank you all for your time and advice.

Good thing it never installed AOL it's terrible and full of spyware :(

Also why dont you pickup a new CD RW drive for a laptop? Up here in Canada their 60$ so you should be able to aqquire one in the states for 50$-

The only thing AOL is good for is creating coffee-mug coasters and microwave tricks...

Anyway, aside from just getting a new CD-ROM, can't you just go to AOL and download from their site? They should have an exe you could put on yer thumbdrive.

if you have a broadband connection, download aol from the internet, but use 8.0 or less. 9.0 sucks and is full of spyware and crap. It usually makes a system unstable

SHAWN said:
if you have a broadband connection, download aol from the internet, but use 8.0 or less. 9.0 sucks and is full of spyware and crap. It usually makes a system unstable
I think he's talking about the AOL ISP. Which probably means he doesn't have any connection at all right now.

fellows, I don't have AOL on my laptop or any other ISP. I'm trying to set up an account.
If anyone has a good suggestion please let me know.Re read my first post before answering.
Thank you.

Computerblues said:
1-No, I'm not networked.
2-AOL has always been my ISP

so you have another pc, just network them and share the other pc's cdrom drive, a couple of cards and a cable cant be that expensive over there:) or as already said if cdrom/rws are that cheap over the pond buy a new drive

Look for the setup.exe in the folder you copied it to or the .msi file double click on it and see if it installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom