Anything to do with IE or Mozilla Firefox will not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lollypoppumkin

Beta member
Hello, just recently a few days ago when I opened Mozilla Firefox a little box popped up and said "The connection was refused when attempting to contact [url here]"

I figured it might just be Firefox so I opened Internet Explorer and it just said the page cannot be displayed.

So now i've found that anything that uses IE/Firefox (the only browsers I have) won't work.

But, I noticed when I turn off my computer then turn it back on it will work for about 5 minutes then it'll stop.

I have tried opening command prompt and using
ipconfig/flushdns

I have tried the
about:config
network.dns.disableIPv6
toggle

and none of which has worked.

but now i'm getting different messages.
after the first message on firefox
it then became
"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at [insert URL."

and now it's
The Connection has timed out
The server at [insert URL] is taking too long to respond.

I am on my sister's computer right now in case you were wondering how i'm able to come here and type this.

But..
I don't use dial up or anything. I have a modem.
I don't have Norton or any firewalls or anything.
Atleast not anymore.

I just uninstalled EZ Trust Security Suite
because I read somewhere that the firewall might be the problem.
but it didn't fix anything.

Anyway it'd be much appreciated if anyone knew anything that could help.

So what type of broadband Internet do you have (DSL, Cable)? You don't have a router do you? just a direct connection from your modem to your computer?

What about connecting the problematic computer directly to the cable modem. Unplug the power on the modem for 15 second and plug it back in.

Leave the problematic computer directly connected to the cable modem. On the computer, go to Control Panel/Network Connection, right click on the adapter that is connected to the modem and select Properties. Double click on TCP/IP and make sure that "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain a DNS server automatically" are selected. Click Ok if you made changes.

Now open up command prompt and type ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew. Type ipconfig /all and verify that you got an IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS. Take note of this information.

If you don't recieve any IP address or your IP address is not what you expected and it gave you 169.254.X.X or 0.0.0.0, please download winsockxp, but backup your registry first before using it. Winsockxpfix can also backup your registry for you.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

After using winsockxp and rebooting back into the desktop, perform the following steps below so I can have a better understanding of what's going on.

1) ping the loopback address 127.0.0.1

example: ping 127.0.0.1

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 2, if not don't proceed yet.

2) ping your IP address

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 3, if not don't proceed yet.

3) ping the default gateway

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 4, if not don't proceed yet.

4) ping the DNS IP

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 5, if not don't proceed yet.

5) ping 64.233.161.147

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 6, if not don't proceed yet.

6) ping www.google.com

Do you get a reply? If yes move on to step 7, if not don't proceed yet.

7) open up a web browser and go to www.google.com

Does it work? If yes you have Internet, if not you have a firewall issue or wrong configuration in the web browser.

Tell me which step you are stuck at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom