Any news about the new Nvidia cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ burn: 7.4% better scaling actually :D
not that huge I'll agree, but still which would you rather have?

@ sircyber: yes HDMI is better, but only because it can carry audio as well. Image quality is the same as DVI.

Ok I need a little help here Apok, my brain is failing.

1. The 480 is about 10% better than the 5870
2. SLI performs about 7% better than CF (according to the anandtech article's benchmarks)

SO, how much faster should a pair of 480's be than a pair of 5870's in terms of the percentage of performance increase?

It would be 20%, but you have to factor in the 7% that CF drops somewhere into the equation. but where?

Ok I need a little help here Apok, my brain is failing.

1. The 480 is about 10% better than the 5870
2. SLI performs about 7% better than CF (according to the anandtech article's benchmarks)

SO, how much faster should a pair of 480's be than a pair of 5870's in terms of the percentage of performance increase?

It would be 20%
No, it would still be 10% if they both scaled the same. The framerate difference would double in number, but not percentage.

eg single 5870 gets 100 fps
single 480 gets 110fps

if they both scale 100%
5870 CF gets 100x2 = 200fps
480 SLI gets 110x2 = 220fps
220/200 = 1.1 (110%)

480 single is 10fps faster than 5870 single. 480 SLI is 20fps faster than 5870 CF. but difference is still 10%
but you have to factor in the 7% that CF drops somewhere into the equation. but where?
performance difference times scaling difference.
10% difference is 1.1x performance
7% better scaling is 1.07 times performance
1.1 x 1.07 = 1.177 = 17.7% faster.

He said single card, not single GPU.

The 5970 is a single card. it has one PCB. You can't buy a 5970 with one GPU.

The comparision of a dual GPU card to a single GPU card would be invalid if the price and power consumption were significantly different.

But still, the 5970 is the fastest card irrespective of how you look at it.

He said single card, not single GPU.

The 5970 is a single card. it has one PCB. You can't buy a 5970 with one GPU.

The comparision of a dual GPU card to a single GPU card would be invalid if the price and power consumption were significantly different.

But still, the 5970 is the fastest card irrespective of how you look at it.

and that's why I asked him how he would defined it...because some people mean it the way I said it..and some the way you said it... so yea you should really learn how to lay back some. You're way too aggressive with your pro-ati/amd feelings.

srry, I couldn't resist.

29QDx.jpg

I'm not a pro-ATI anti-nvidia fanboy. I just think the GF100 GPU in particular is a poor choice against Cypress. A lot of people who aren't fanboys think so.
and that's why I asked him how he would defined it...because some people mean it the way I said it..and some the way you said it...
A single card is a single card. one PCB, one PCI-E slot.

I did also add that whether it was a valid comparision was another, different argument.
You could argue that it is a valid comparision because it has similar power consumption, and that they are the best cards from each of the brands.
You could argue that they aren't due to price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom