Another Mac vs. PC thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
UNIX was created in 1969 by bell labs to run on mainframes only, one of the co-authors of it is Ken Thompson

Linux is a POSIX compliant OS, meaning essentially is shares the same standards as UNIX, for example in UNIX or linux everything is a file, including devices, they are treated as files.

in the 70's and 80's work by some guys started on the GNU toolset which was started cause they didnt like the high licensing fees for UNIX, they wanted to use it privately at home,even before the personal computer was created.I think it was 1991 or so when Linus Torvalds made the first linux kernel.Have to understand writing code in C to do this is very slow and painstaking, when the linux kernel came out some of the GNU tools were still pretty rough, but development exploded after that.Linux is just now getting to the point where its really is a very solid and workable OS for non geeks.

Blind_Arrow said:
someone in same section told me that for application development, one requires mac server.

and that was YOU

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22187&highlight=BlindArrow

check urself

I never said anything about that being included in basic Mac OSX. I said that OSX has basic server administration and hosting capabilities, as does Windows XP. However, the server versions of both operating systems are required to do more advanced functions, say create/manage a mail server or an advanced SQL database. The only real differing factor is that OSX server, for an unlimited license, costs $1000; the same price as the standard, 5 license version of Windows Server 2003 (don't trust me? Ask Microsoft ). Im sorry my friend but please read what I say carefully.

Mac has so many damn security holes it makes me sick, but so does XP but IMO Mac's look like little kid computers.

algu7344 said:
Mac has so many damn security holes it makes me sick, but so does XP but IMO Mac's look like little kid computers.

As the saying goes, "thanks, Captain Obvious."

With any open source or open source based operating system, there are holes. The systems are, for all intents are purposes, "open" unless the end user decides to protect himself or herself against the possible exploitation of these holes. What Apple has done with OSX is essentially tweak a UNIX subsystem, put a proprietary GUI on it and make many of these end user tweaks for the user, making it into a more mainstream usable OS. The holes still exist, but that is just the reality of the open source roots of OSX and it really cannot be entirely avoided.

Microsoft's Windows is a completely proprietary OS, coded from the ground up by Microsoft engineers. Therefore that system's holes exist only from faulty programming or neglegence.

And no, Macs do not look like little kid computers.

algu7344 said:
and to add the only good thing mac has ever done was make oregon trail.

Last time I checked, Mac has never made anything. The company which makes the Mac is Apple Computer, which did not make Oregon Trail. Oregon Trail was developed by MECC and published by The Learning Company. If the last thing youve used on a Mac was Oregon Trail, then you are absolutely unqualified to make any judgments whatsoever on the platform and I ask you politely to save your ignorance for a more attentive crowd.

My mistake sir, Mac was the first to have oregon trail on the platform, soon later on pc requiring a apple 2 emulator which really shows how mac is good with interchangibility of their crap. Also, if you find me a DOS version of oregon trail ill mail you a couple bucks. And about the tweaked UNIX OS. Well how great that is, even though it lacks many strong commands that Linux doesnt lack. Mac has really stepped up in the world I guess. And if Macs are so damn good then why do you have to essentially rip the thing open and tear it apart to upgrade it? And I love how only 2.8% of america that uses computers have Mac's. Also, I really really really adore that when I walk in a store and find a 4 year selling for 60 bucks such as medal of honor frontline. I would love to see Doom 3 run on a mac. Whats your specs. Well concerning the whole ignorance comment, I guess stating an opinion is ignorance, well this is america after all. And windows is only proprietary when compared with software not hardware, and if you would bother to check, alot of people think windows and either have a only linux or people dual boot, havent you been in the other forums? What about the other like 30 OS"s? Such as Linux, Windows, BeOS, Lindows, Redhat, Mandrake etc... Granted most are linux based, but you get the idea. Sorry Mr Moderator for not fitting in your criteria.

algu7344 said:
My mistake sir, Mac was the first to have oregon trail on the platform, soon later on pc requiring a apple 2 emulator which really shows how mac is good with interchangibility of their crap. Also, if you find me a DOS version of oregon trail ill mail you a couple bucks. And about the tweaked UNIX OS. Well how great that is, even though it lacks many strong commands that Linux doesnt lack. Mac has really stepped up in the world I guess. And if Macs are so damn good then why do you have to essentially rip the thing open and tear it apart to upgrade it? And I love how only 2.8% of america that uses computers have Mac's. Also, I really really really adore that when I walk in a store and find a 4 year selling for 60 bucks such as medal of honor frontline. I would love to see Doom 3 run on a mac. Whats your specs. Well concerning the whole ignorance comment, I guess stating an opinion is ignorance, well this is america after all. And windows is only proprietary when compared with software not hardware, and if you would bother to check, alot of people think windows and either have a only linux or people dual boot, havent you been in the other forums? What about the other like 30 OS"s? Such as Linux, Windows, BeOS, Lindows, Redhat, Mandrake etc... Granted most are linux based, but you get the idea. Sorry Mr Moderator for not fitting in your criteria.

You'd fit my criteria just fine if you knew what you were talking about.

Lets go through the points one by one in no particular oder:

1) Mac games dont sell for $60.

2) Metal of Honor:Frontline is not 4 years old.

3) Doom 3 is on the Mac platform.

4) You can use Linux on a Mac, so dual booting is possible, just like on a PC.

5) What about the "other like 30 OS"s"?

6) Since when did you have to tear open a Mac to upgrade it? If by "tear open" you mean "open the case", then yes, you do. This is a pretty standard feature of computer upgrading. Im sorry if it upsets you.

7) Im glad you make a point about Apple compatibility by using a more than two decade old system as your example. Back in those days, Apple had a much larger market share than it does now. Thats right. You can check the records, its all there. Anyway, as things go, the more marketshare, the more stuff is developed for your platform. Thus a game was made for an Apple then required an emulator for use on a PC (sounds like a familiar situation flip flopped) during a time before the emergence of the PC as the dominant platform.

8) So OSX lacks many commands Linux "doesnt lack" (has, maybe?)? Last time I checked, Linux and UNIX arent the same and barely share the same command structures anymore, so this is a pretty worthless point. Its like saying OSX lacks many of the strong commands Windows has.

Screw you asshole, Im tired of typing long ass threads. And I went to Apples site and checked out the shitty G5's omg everything is so damn cluttered finding the shitty expensive parts you need to upgrade with will be the easy part of upgrading. When Doom finally gets through its beta version for mac, ill return. Until then, watch this video you will love it.

http://media.ebaumsworld.com/index.php?e=apple.wmv

your a god damn loser if you looked that up

your probably a mac packer like the mod arent you?

p.s dumbass that isnt even the right version over 500 megs? I doubt it buddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom